Please help for quarantine fish from Petco

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What if my tank already have velvet and ick ? my previous purchase from online , they helped me hold a few weeks and quarantined fish already . Todays petco fish is not quarantined. Dispute I called quality marine . They claimed they have strict quarantine process before ship out . not sure how much I believe it.

last time velvet episode are because my tank was still new . My tank maintenance guy brought some fish from someone’s private home . Told me no need to quarantine since it’s not from store . ended up those fish from someone’s home carries velvet . I am sure if someone take fish from my tank might cause velvet outbreak too because it’s already in my system and I can’t treat the tank because of the corals .
Assume all shipped fish have something especially shipped and subject to ammonia in the water, temperature change and others. They as quarantined have left facility free of disease (at least assumed). If quarantined, you can do a 2 week quarantine but better safe than regretful

OP
OP
melhe

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
wow. . . . most wild fish are exposed to low levels of parasites and are often unable to fight off the infections without becoming ill and their immune systems weaken making them susceptible to infections and parasites like ich and often a decrease in water quality, stress and temperature changes which cause stress will allow the disease to progress,
FISH DO NOT BECOME IMMUNE TO DISEASE . . BUT RATHER RESISTANT when good water quality and diet are provided.
Its the same with us humans who carry viruses and are overcome when our immune system become weak and we get cold, flu, etc.
Did u notice a lot of people get flu, kids got strep throat and RSV after pandemic people take masks off? Because during pandemic , everyone wears mask and no long expose to any common pathogen. As soon as we start to breath normal air again . People prone to get sick. Then with time , human body get used to encounter daily normal different bacteria , virus then developed antibodies again . Become more immune .

i feel when people have very clean tank without any parasites. They need to keep strict quarantine process . Because introduce any pathogens could easily cause outbreaks because most fish in the tank not used to expose any parasites and bacteria.

I think in my case, I just have to make sure keep good water quality and parameters. I’ll get to trouble if new fish refuse to eat . Let’s see how the tank goes .

actually I did prepared 10 gallon tank yesterday planned to quarantine petco fish . Changed my mind last min when I found out those fish are so big , can’t fit in 10g tank together

OP
OP
melhe

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Assume all shipped fish have something especially shipped and subject to ammonia in the water, temperature change and others. They as quarantined have left facility free of disease (at least assumed). If quarantined, you can do a 2 week quarantine but better safe than regretful
Omg , I guess I never quarantine any fish myself then . I had to pay extra for LFS to quarantine for me a couple of times. I thought once the seller quarantine for me, i’ll be all set .

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank u guys for advise , I’ll go ahead and cancel petco order
Good move. I’ve recently quarantined dozens of leopard wrasse and other wrasses in the same family and they need to be dewormed. Prazi, metro all put in their foods. Dr Reef sounds like a good source for sure, especially for these specialty fish. Leopard wrasse are super nice looking. Deep sand bed so they don’t injure themselves burying. Don’t be discouraged if you lose some but it’s worth it!

OP
OP
melhe

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Good move. I’ve recently quarantined dozens of leopard wrasse and other wrasses in the same family and they need to be dewormed. Prazi, metro all put in their foods. Dr Reef sounds like a good source for sure, especially for these specialty fish. Leopard wrasse are super nice looking. Deep sand bed so they don’t injure themselves burying. Don’t be discouraged if you lose some but it’s worth it!
Keep reading lol. I ended up couldn’t cancel . It was too late

OP
OP
melhe

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
If they die , next order will be from dr reef for sure. Especially I have good experience with them in the past

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking you would have the fish in an observation tank first. I don’t think you should feed these foods directly to your display. Sorry. Get a 10 gallon tank from Petco for $11 and a small heater and air pump. Sand.

OP
OP
melhe

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I was thinking you would have the fish in an observation tank first. I don’t think you should feed these foods directly to your display. Sorry. Get a 10 gallon tank from Petco for $11 and a small heater and air pump. Sand.
Those fish are too big to be hosted in 10g tank . Even though they supposed to be size small . I don’t know why came in so big . I don’t think I can get them out now .

Overnight , they buried themselves in the sand.

I’ll check after work today I hope they come out

OP
OP
melhe

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Day one update :

two of the three wrasses swim around and eating . PBT is active and eating no ick yet .

the third wrasse permanently stuck himself half way in the sand see below
As long as they eat , I am happy .

E681E057-2E00-4E97-A8D8-B8B485FDC58A.jpeg

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day one update :

two of the three wrasses swim around and eating . PBT is active and eating no ick yet .

the third wrasse permanently stuck himself half way in the sand see below
As long as they eat , I am happy .

E681E057-2E00-4E97-A8D8-B8B485FDC58A.jpeg
Keep pumpin the food to em!

OP
OP
melhe

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Ph 8.06
Temp 78.6
Alk 8
Ca 450
Mg 1350
Po4 0.26
Nitrate 13
Salinity 1.024

OP
OP
melhe

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Question : since I came back . I found out PBT is chasing a smaller size Atlantic blue tang . Non stop . What should I do to break the fight . This is the 2nd day PBT in my tank , already going crazy. What should I do to break the fight ?

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question : since I came back . I found out PBT is chasing a smaller size Atlantic blue tang . Non stop . What should I do to break the fight . This is the 2nd day PBT in my tank , already going crazy. What should I do to break the fight ?
Get a stick. Every time the powder blue gets aggressive, chase him. Leave him alone if he’s behaving. They will learn. Hopefully

OP
OP
melhe

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Get a stick. Every time the powder blue gets aggressive, chase him. Leave him alone if he’s behaving. They will learn. Hopefully
I’ll try for sure in the future . Good idea.
Today I have to drop two cubes of mysis to distract the PBT , finally he stopped chasing . I have read put all tangs the same time to prevent aggression. That’s why I bought all fish on my list the same time . Not sure it’s working .

To(meany)Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll try for sure in the future . Good idea.
Today I have to drop two cubes of mysis to distract the PBT , finally he stopped chasing . I have read put all tangs the same time to prevent aggression. That’s why I bought all fish on my list the same time . Not sure it’s working .
The mirror trick has worked for me for aggression... and sometimes they are just establishing their pecking order and may take a few days to a week to settle down. May have a few nipped fins but if they calm down they will heal and it will be a win. Now if they get outta control to where it's more than that then separate or rehome.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 72 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back