Please Help!! I don’t wanna lose this fish!

Reeferburns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown has been acting weird and swimming like his back fun doesn’t work at all. I put a flash on him and noticed white coloration on his back fin. It doesn’t look like ick. Im going to put a video in. Please help. Should I do a fresh water dip?

Attachments

• IMG_5617.MOV
    34.9 MB
OP
OP
Reeferburns

Reeferburns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I’m noticing is that his belly is very big and it looks like one side is bigger. The back fin looks like it’s becoming white. I really don’t wanna lose this fish. I love mis bar clowns and I’ve named this fish already. The tank is coming up on a month old.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The clown is very distant in the video and cannot see anything on its tail. At one point it looks like a buoyancy issue, but on the other hand appears as aggression from the other clown likely a dominant female
Are you able to isolate the other fish even for an hour in a clean bucket?
This would determine if the fish is succumbing to the other clown or has a buoyancy or other internal issue.
If internal. kanaplex and focus -both by seachem will be the fix
Is the fish eating ?
How much water flow is in the tank ( Strong-Med-Moderate ) ??

Last edited:

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Left laptop at work. Can’t see video on my phone.

Can you post video to YouTube and share that? Be sure to make it not private, but select don’t list it. This way idiots won’t trash it for no reason, as it won’t show up on the new list.

OP
OP
Reeferburns

Reeferburns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clown is very distant in the video and cannot see anything on its tail. At one point it looks like a buoyancy issue, but on the other hand appears as aggression from the other clown likely a dominant female
Are you able to isolate the other fish even for an hour in a clean bucket?
This would determine if the fish is succumbing to the other clown or has a buoyancy or other internal issue.
If internal. metrozanidal and focus -both by seachem will be the fix
Is the fish eating ?
How much water flow is in the tank ( Strong-Med-Moderate ) ??
I can try and put him in another bucket for a little! It does seem like a buoyancy. I just fed them and he went after the food and ate it but he was still facing the sand when he ate the food. Right now I have one reef wave 25 doing a wave cycle from 10 percent to 60 percent. I wanna say I’m turning over about 600 gallons an hour rn for return pump.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like a buoyancy issue. It also looks like it not be able to do “the dance” may be leading to some aggression from the female.

How does the fish do if you turn off the wave maker?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I can try and put him in another bucket for a little! It does seem like a buoyancy. I just fed them and he went after the food and ate it but he was still facing the sand when he ate the food. Right now I have one reef wave 25 doing a wave cycle from 10 percent to 60 percent. I wanna say I’m turning over about 600 gallons an hour rn for return pump.
Lower the flow and you mentioned lump/bump on one side of belly- either an internal issue or constipation.
What foods are you feeding ?
As long as other clown is not causing damage, separation may not be necessary. You'll want to get meds below and bind it with its food and should clear up

1642565302016.png
1642565330286.png

OP
OP
Reeferburns

Reeferburns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower the flow and you mentioned lump/bump on one side of belly- either an internal issue or constipation.
What foods are you feeding ?
As long as other clown is not causing damage, separation may not be necessary. You'll want to get meds below and bind it with its food and should clear up

1642565302016.png
1642565330286.png
Currently I’ve been feeding original rods. I was inspecting the fish more and noticed damage on a fin but not the back fin that he isn’t using.

OP
OP
Reeferburns

Reeferburns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower the flow.. Homie is struggling.

Can you isolate the fish? Hospital tank, hang on acclimation box?

I see the white patch in front of the anal fin but it's moving so quickly I cant even start to guess.
I just turned the flow to 30 percent every 3 sec. Should I just turn it off all together to see? I don’t have a qt setup at the moment but have a tank I can setup but it wouldn’t be cycled. I could put him in a brute or 5 gallon.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just turned the flow to 30 percent every 3 sec. Should I just turn it off all together to see? I don’t have a qt setup at the moment but have a tank I can setup but it wouldn’t be cycled. I could put him in a brute or 5 gallon.
30% is good
Should reduce the struggle to swim

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to see in the video, but only time I ever saw a clown acting like that was they day before he died of uronema. I got two clowns with uronema from a LFS and had to let the tank go fallow for 5 weeks. I hope this doesn’t happen to you. The tank is new still, hopefully it’s cycled and no ammonia spikes which would cause a fish to be more susceptible to illness.

after that experience I started using Hydroplex to dip my fish before they go in my display. I have had a lot of success with that.

let us know what happens.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 43 51.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.6%
Back