OP
OP
JVH

JVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you could swing it, I would get a 40 breeder. I believe that Petco is still having their $1 per gallon sale. I would get a divider to keep the dottyback separate from the other fish. This will help to eliminate the aggression from the dottyback. Are you a member of NJ Reefer's? You may want to post a thread on there and maybe someone local has a tank you could borrow to get you through this.

I don't know if I have room for a 40g .. But the DB never bothered anyone else..I probably don't have time to place an try to get a used tank so Im going to just run out now in fact..I hope a 20 or a 25 will do it.. Well thanks for the advice and wish me luck.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your fish are all small a 20 would be just fine. I use cupramine and a seachem copper test kit, Seting up a QT was the best thing I ever did in this hobbie!!!!!!. I hope all goes well for you.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also fill your 20, if you get it with your DT water. I left my DT fishless for 12 weeks.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me just make this random guess and let's see if I'm right, you didn't use heater to match the temperature when you did that 30% WC

gji

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 bad u have 2 shrimp already, I was going to recommend a cleaner shrimp

OP
OP
JVH

JVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me just make this random guess and let's see if I'm right, you didn't use heater to match the temperature when you did that 30% WC

Why would you randomly guess that???
I match salinity and temp exactly EVERYTIME AND mix salt with PH

Last edited:
OP
OP
JVH

JVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also fill your 20, if you get it with your DT water. I left my DT fishless for 12 weeks.

I got a 20L which is the same dimensions as my 30.. I pulled all rock and got all the fish relatively easy. The clowns let me pet them so they were the first and very easy. My goby was under the sand and didn't know what happened when I lifted the rock and scoped him up and the other 2 were sick and slow.
I matched salinity, temp and ph. Added pvc, copper treatment vitamins and everyone was resting comfortable but the two sick fish(with sever symptoms) did not make it! I'm so ****** at myself for not recognizing it immediately!
S the dotty back and the gramma both died this morning :( The good news is the lack clown is not showing spots anymore so its going through the phases..The clown are acting like they re on vacation! No stress visible. Now I have to go and empty all the rock back out and re-scape and make sure all inverts are accounted for. Was up till 12:30 last night and what a mess!
So you left you empty for 12 weeks? Geesh, I guess I should do that as well..Thanks for your advise

James w Lewis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't cleaner shrimp remove ich from fish. I never had a problem with it after I bought a few cleaner shrimp. And, they are cool to watch.

OP
OP
JVH

JVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't cleaner shrimp remove ich from fish. I never had a problem with it after I bought a few cleaner shrimp. And, they are cool to watch.

I don't believe they all do what they're supposed to do..I originally got my peppermint shrimp because they like and eat apstsia.. Not my guy! I also have a fire cleaner and all he does is scavenge for food.. They are both very cool! I feed them with a turkey baster! They come running when the see me.

OP
OP
JVH

JVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The results of a long day yesterday!
Wish I didn't lose two of my guys :(
image.jpg

gji

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My view of Ich, some fish are carriers of the parasite but their immune system keeps the parasite from fully developing and not allowing an infection to break out on its host and infecting the rest of the tank mates. It's sort of like a cold sore(herpes)

OP
OP
JVH

JVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My view of Ich, some fish are carriers of the parasite but their immune system keeps the parasite from fully developing and not allowing an infection to break out on its host and infecting the rest of the tank mates. It's sort of like a cold sore(herpes)

Yeah I believe that too and what gets me really upset is when I did my water change I know that stresses them out because I was really doing a thorough cleaning I don't know if you read the earlier post where my gramma and daddy back who both always got along were both going for the same cave when the fight broke out. The gramma was never quite the same not really swimming in the caves anymore just Kaina hanging out horizontally in corners of the tank and then white spots a day or two later.. The water change and cleaning has to be done and they should be getting used to it by now it's been going on every single week like clockwork! But one fish was in a cave the other ones when I'm in and then that was it! Sucks to think that that few minutes of fighting croissant much stress, caused all this!

gji

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When stressed, this lowers the host carriers immune system allowing Ich to take hold and spread the infection

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ich burrows in under the outer skin layer, out of reach for cleaner shrimp. The "white spots" you see is excess mucous building up around the insertion point. Ich inside the gills is out of reach for cleaner shrimp, as well. What they are removing is dead skin tissue - damage from ich.

Last edited:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back