Please help! Left this morning all good, came back a couple of hours later, a all corals look dead/dying!

OP
OP
Rennurdoar

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My answers are in the post. ^^^

Oh thanks on that!

Test kits all new, bought within the last month.

I'm hoping taking the diffusers off didn't do it, but it may have. I think was finding the diffusers only dropped 10-20% par, so I was hoping taking them off gained me around 10-20 pay each maybe? From some other writeups where they tested with Diffuser on and off.

On the PNS ProBio, the last dose last night of the rest of the bottle, was more than 30ML. But my recommended dose for the tank is 75ml a night. I figured that was about what was left in the bottle, so just used it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks @vetteguy53081

Not sure on if I have low dissolved o2 - I have a classic 2000 HOB Reef Octopus for my skimmer (65g tank)
Do skimmers help with that issues of low Do2?

I do weekly water changes of 5 gallons every Saturday. I use Red Sea Coral Pro but saw the blue bucket may be better. But things had been going very well so I decided to stick with what had been working. I run Red Sea reef spec carbon in my hang on filter from the cannister filter. In my cannister I have ceramic media that came with, the normal sponge filter that came with, then I added in 1L of seachem matrix in the cannister as well. I have a UV sterilizer in line with the cannister filter. I clean/ rinse of media once a month on those. every 2 weeks for the carbon.

Water flow has been unchanged in the tank.

No new sand has been added

Same salt as mentioned above has always been used

Only 'bad kit' I use is the API just for Phos since I don't have a better one yet. Currently all others are red via apex, or Red Sea/Salifert kits.

Trace elements I'm not sure, just hoped they came with my salt. I can try and get an ICP test soon so I know better.

Light intensity should have stayed as it has been. Although last night I took off my 16hd diffusers hoping to gain a little more par for the sps. Other wise all same. LED's on at 11 with a 2 hour ramp up, then T5's come on until 9pm then the LED's ramp down until 11. Then it's moonlight only at 20% from 11-3 am. then darkness again until 11am.

Did just add new corals I recieved in from SBB Corals, but they all looked healthy, and colored up even more the second day in the tank. Today is the third day and seem all have RTN as well. I think I see some polyps, but not sure.

As far as I know, no contaminants, I wash my hands with soap and water, then rinse them off in Rodi if I think I may have something on my hands before reaching in.

We don't have any spray fragrences or anything. Some candles on burners is about it, but not in the same room as the tank.

Sorry for the long post, just trying to let you know on each point what we have going on. I know more information is better usually.

To all, I really appreciate the help. I realize this could just be a bad case of luck with no none cause, but just trying to make sure so I can be better informed if it does happen again. Thanks again everyone and keep the advice coming! Doing a 30% change as we speak.
How did you acclimate corals and did you equalize the salinity with that of tank during acclimation? White does not always mean ded but rather loss of zooxanthellae which can restore itself

You mentioned canister and HOB skimmer- Is this not a reef ready tank?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh thanks on that!

I'm hoping taking the diffusers off didn't do it, but it may have. I think was finding the diffusers only dropped 10-20% par, so I was hoping taking them off gained me around 10-20 pay each maybe? From some other writeups where they tested with Diffuser on and off.

On the PNS ProBio, the last dose last night of the rest of the bottle, was more than 30ML. But my recommended dose for the tank is 75ml a night. I figured that was about what was left in the bottle, so just used it.
10% Overnight is quite a bit for sps. I will only go up a few % points when I'm raising them.
And I can't say for sure but dosing twice as much than usual is also an "event". You will know if you test ammonia and nitrite tonight.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you acclimate corals and did you equalize the salinity with that of tank during acclimation? White does not always mean ded but rather loss of zooxanthellae which can restore itself

His pics show actual flesh missing. I pretty sure it's rtn.

OP
OP
Rennurdoar

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

My tank isn't drilled no. So, I chose to run the canister filter (400pgh) (mixed reviews if they're nitrate factories) I haven't noticed high nitrates, and they've settled now at 5ppm each test. I did the skimmer oversized also as the classic 2000 HOB, rated for 150gallons and 75 gallons heavy bioload.

Since day 3 I've been adding in copepods, oceanmagik from @AlgaeBarn also started dosing PNS Probio and PNS snow over the last 8 weeks. My tank is about 6month old. I did a live fish cycle on it. It cycled around the 5th week. Up until today, I haven't noticed any issues whatsoever, and had been pretty happy thinking I had it all under control. I check my params every morning also. Just to try and catch anything, although this morning was to rushed to check so only gave a quick visual inspection.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
His pics show actual flesh missing. I pretty sure it's rtn.
Could be but unsurity is there on readings and events overnight. Rapid necrosis for how quick it turned around makes sense but now for the cause

OP
OP
Rennurdoar

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Could be but unsurity is there on readings and events overnight. Rapid necrosis for how quick it turned around makes sense but now for the cause

This, this is what I would like to find out as well. Maybe my overdose of PNS Probio did it by adding 2.5x my usual just to empty the bottle last night. I had read before that hydrospace (pns manufacture) had dosed up to 40x the recommended dose before, with no ill effects. So was hoping my 2.5x to empty the bottle wouldn't have. But maybe it did? It's the only thing I can think of I did

OP
OP
Rennurdoar

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Pictures of my two mushrooms that were always way open. The florida had grown to over a half dollar in soze since ive had him. But even they're claiming up

Attachments

• 20221215_150858.jpg
    20221215_150858.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 20221215_150935.jpg
    20221215_150935.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 43

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, I’m sorry for your losses. Maybe do a large water change if you haven’t already. Wish I could be more helpful, but I generally murder any acro I try to grow.

OP
OP
Rennurdoar

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Oh man, I’m sorry for your losses. Maybe do a large water change if you haven’t already. Wish I could be more helpful, but I generally murder any acro I try to grow.
Currently doing that as we speak. Going to do 30% change and hope it hepls! No parameters were off as far as I could see unfortunately

OP
OP
Rennurdoar

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've completed one 30% change so far. Some of the LPS seem to be extending a little better. But still almost all retracted. Doing another 20-30% change now also, for a total of 50%-60% change. However, all my SPS were lost. All with what appears to be RTN. So disappointed, upset, frustrated. Look at these two from yesterday. They looked like that in the evening, and this morning before I left for 3 hours. I'm just so confused. But I guess RTN acts extremely fast across the tank?

Attachments

• 20221213_162136.jpg
    20221213_162136.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 20221213_162204.jpg
    20221213_162204.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 38

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose PNS regularly. Did you add anything else to the tank besides probio over 24 hours? Probio says adding any other substance that has bacteria with probio may have adverse effects.

OP
OP
Rennurdoar

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I dose PNS regularly. Did you add anything else to the tank besides probio over 24 hours? Probio says adding any other substance that has bacteria with probio may have adverse effects.
Nope, just the PNS ProBio and PNS Yellow on alternating schedules. Dose 30ml of Photo daily also. And benepets twice a week.

I also just rinsed my reefspec carbon out, and added in more into my hangon filter. Doubled what I had in, didn't think I had enough. But after the first WC I just did, some of the torches are starting to extend 'a little' hopefully after this next WC water gets added back in they may pop out and show some recovery. Here's to hoping

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rennurdoar

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So, while getting my next batch of water ready. I plugged one of my wavemakers back in, had unplugged it while checking some things. The second I reached in afterwards I got a nice little shock when going to adjust it. So, it seems that one wavemaker had a short, or somehow an exposed wire internally or something. It was putting voltage into the water... Do we think that could have caused all the SPS to RTN and everything else recede? Snails still aren't moving much.

That's the only 'weird' thing I've seen/noticed so far.

Oh and I just broke my TM Hydrometer... had it resting on a towel standing up against the tank. Dog ran by and touched it and broke the tip... just a heck of a day... At least I have a digital one I can use for now until I can get a new TM Hydrometer in

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This, this is what I would like to find out as well. Maybe my overdose of PNS Probio did it by adding 2.5x my usual just to empty the bottle last night. I had read before that hydrospace (pns manufacture) had dosed up to 40x the recommended dose before, with no ill effects. So was hoping my 2.5x to empty the bottle wouldn't have. But maybe it did? It's the only thing I can think of I did
No worries on that dosage, that's not at all excessive (we do way more on a regular basis).

Considering the diversity of affected animals, including mushrooms, I'm thinking this is less likely a pathogen (i.e., RTN, which most agree is a form of vibriosis) and more likely the introduction of some toxin (via hands, aerosol, etc.) or even the stray voltage.

These stories are always so sad to hear, best of luck on the turnaround.

boeingn747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With what I know it sounds to me like a filtration issue. If you are not running a skimmer and at least a canister filter I doubt you will keep your nutrient levels low enough to keep sps, lps coral. You should be fine with most soft coral but sps lps is going to be a no without a good filtration and skimmer. Also could be a lighting issue if you are not using the proper type of lighting.
Oh thanks on that!

OP
OP
Rennurdoar

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
With what I know it sounds to me like a filtration issue. If you are not running a skimmer and at least a canister filter I doubt you will keep your nutrient levels low enough to keep sps, lps coral. You should be fine with most soft coral but sps lps is going to be a no without a good filtration and skimmer. Also could be a lighting issue if you are not using the proper type of lighting.

You may have missed it in my earlier post, but i am running a octo reef classic 2000 Hob rated for 150, plus aqueon cannister filter /400gph also rated for 150g. In the canister i have seachem matrix. Plus other filter media. My tank is 65g

Lights are two Prime 16 HDs attached to an aquatic life T5 hybrid mount

Last edited:

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a tank cloud up and things went south only to find out my boy was feeding the Snowflake eel KFC when I was at work. My wife has threatened my tanks more than once, claims she should have been a fish.
Traditional or extra crunchy?

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, while getting my next batch of water ready. I plugged one of my wavemakers back in, had unplugged it while checking some things. The second I reached in afterwards I got a nice little shock when going to adjust it. So, it seems that one wavemaker had a short, or somehow an exposed wire internally or something. It was putting voltage into the water... Do we think that could have caused all the SPS to RTN and everything else recede? Snails still aren't moving much.

That's the only 'weird' thing I've seen/noticed so far.

Oh and I just broke my TM Hydrometer... had it resting on a towel standing up against the tank. Dog ran by and touched it and broke the tip... just a heck of a day... At least I have a digital one I can use for now until I can get a new TM Hydrometer in
I can totally relate to the stray voltage situation. This past June when moving into my current tank, I had set up a holding tub for my rocks and live stock. Turned out that the heater that used had a short, as I found when I went to put the stock into the new tank. Low grade, didn’t kill every thing but my sps were done for. A few other lps died a bit later due to the stressing they got as well. No other inverts or fish were damaged/died. So could def be a contributing factor.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 21 12.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 47 27.5%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 80 46.8%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 11.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back