Please help! Left this morning all good, came back a couple of hours later, a all corals look dead/dying!

OP
OP
Rennurdoar

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My interest is peaked with the bum wavemaker. It would be a good experiment to set up a coral or two in a tank with some lighting and flow for a day or two let them settle in and if things look normal throw the bad wavemaker in and see what the effect is.

No need to do that, there are tons of other threads I've found saying the same thing with stray voltage and it killing all their sps.

I don't want to risk killing any other livestock either, when I already know the result lol

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's been solved. Don't use vinagar to clean pumps.

I don't, I soak in warm water and I had one swell anyways. Nothing is fool proof. I was just giving as warning that ya need to watch those dry sides.

I know people use citric acid but that is also.. well an acid... so I do wonder if it really is somehow safer on a seal then vinegar or if it is just assumed safer.

Last edited:

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I don't, I soak in warm water and I had one swell anyways. Nothing is fool proof. I was just giving as warning that ya need to watch those dry sides.

I know people use citric acid but that is also.. well an acid... so I do wonder if it really is somehow safer on a seal then vinegar or if it is just assumed safer.
I use Sicce pump cleaner. Works great.

Coinzmans Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to do that, there are tons of other threads I've found saying the same thing with stray voltage and it killing all their sps.

I don't want to risk killing any other livestock either, when I already know the result lol

A while back I was reading about a tank like yours almost to the T. The equipment had failed terribly and voltage was blamed however the tank did not recover when the faulty power head was removed, turns out the wire had leached copper into the tank and quite a bit. If I were you I would check the copper levels before voltage is a forgone conclusion.

I read a bit on this from other reefers here is one of those articles

The reason I am interested in you situation is, I was left with no definitive answers after reading about voltage, current, ground probes and the whole bird on the wire theory. This article was the reason for placing my ground probes in the sumps. Even though the ground probes are in the sumps I measure the tanks for voltage and there is always voltage in the tanks without the probes and NO voltage with probes installed.

Last edited:

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Here's the painful list :crying-face:

SBB "Creature" Milli Huge 3+ Chunky Branch XXL
SBB " Cherry Unicorn" Large
SBB " After Burner" XXL Chunky
SBB " Bumble Bee" XL Multi branch
SBB " King Kong" No Colored Huge multi
SBB " Sour Patch Kids" New Release XXL 5+ branches
WWC Green Duncan
WWC Striptease Acropora
WWC Blue Stylophora
WWC Paletta Tricolor Acropora
WWC Juicy Fruit Pipe Organ
WWC Fireworks Clove Polyps
Jason Fox Fairy Tales Zoanthids
Princess Favia
TSA Northern Lights Lepto
WWC Jingle Bells Cyphastrea
Watermelon Psammy
No name Milli from my local LFS

That's it so far, hopefully everything else makes it. I have the Northern Lights Lepto still in, seeing if it comes back. No polyps visible so far, but it's not skeleton white so we'll see. Also worth noting, that all those were also on the side of the faulty wave maker mostly...

Hopefully in the next couple of days everything starts recovering better.

Hoping Neil Patrick Harris GIF
That's pretty devastating. I feel like that is such a sinking feeling since you are newer to reefing (I looked at your build thread). I think my wife would have be pretty mad if I had such an event right after doing a major stocking of coral on a new tank if it was so early on. I'm sure your fiance and you have wedding plans as well.

If your willing to pay shipping, pm me your address and I'll send you a package to cover some of the losses. I didn't get as big of a creature Mille as you, but I'll frag it and let it heal then send you a piece. I have some zoas, Montis, bubble gum digitata, clove polyps, a tiny psamacora frag that grows well and a few other things. Let me frag a few things and let them heal on plugs and I can send something out after the holidays since I assume shipping will be easier then and that you'll have your tank situated with a new wave maker and parameters all settled down. I've never shipped coral, but I'll use the box that SBB had sent me, add some heat packs and over night it.

OP
OP
Rennurdoar

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A while back I was reading about a tank like yours almost to the T. The equipment had failed terribly and voltage was blamed however the tank did not recover when the faulty power head was removed, turns out the wire had leached copper into the tank and quite a bit. If I were you I would check the copper levels before voltage is a forgone conclusion.

I read a bit on this from other reefers here is one of those articles

The reason I am interested in you situation is, I was left with no definitive answers after reading about voltage, current, ground probes and the whole bird on the wire theory. This article was the reason for placing my ground probes in the sumps. Even though the ground probes are in the sumps I measure the tanks for voltage and there is always voltage in the tanks without the probes and NO voltage with probes installed.

That's a good observation and catch! I didn't think about the leaching of copper from the incident. It could be why most our soft corals are still receded some. The two big bird hammers ended up opening up pretty good yesterday though. The indo branching hammer opened up a little, then receded back down again.

Also ended up finding one of our emerald crabs had died. All 3 were still ok after the initial incident. I'm going to go out and pick up a copper test kit today. Going to order the Seachem Copper test off of amazon to be here tomorrow, then see if I can't find one local just because I'm impatient lol. At least then I can check the levels. All the fish are doing great still, so that's a big plus for me.

I'll update when I get my copper level test and see what it is. Hopefully with the 35g WC immediately after noticing when we got home that evening, then another 5g the next day would have helped with any copper leaching. But I'm not sure.

Also hoping it didn't kill all my microfauna in the tank. I had been stocking galaxy copepods from @AlgaeBarn since day one. I think I've put 20 jars of galaxy pods in, in the last 4 months. Also dosing the phytoplankton daily. Really big on getting the microfauna in the tank up, it was one of my first goals. I think it also was what was helping me be able to add in corals at such an early time frame and have them do well.

OP
OP
Rennurdoar

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That's pretty devastating. I feel like that is such a sinking feeling since you are newer to reefing (I looked at your build thread). I think my wife would have be pretty mad if I had such an event right after doing a major stocking of coral on a new tank if it was so early on. I'm sure your fiance and you have wedding plans as well.

If your willing to pay shipping, pm me your address and I'll send you a package to cover some of the losses. I didn't get as big of a creature Mille as you, but I'll frag it and let it heal then send you a piece. I have some zoas, Montis, bubble gum digitata, clove polyps, a tiny psamacora frag that grows well and a few other things. Let me frag a few things and let them heal on plugs and I can send something out after the holidays since I assume shipping will be easier then and that you'll have your tank situated with a new wave maker and parameters all settled down. I've never shipped coral, but I'll use the box that SBB had sent me, add some heat packs and over night it.

That is so nice of you to offer! But I'll have to pass on it for now. I want to make sure the tank is 100% back to normal before adding in SPS again. Losing them all hurt and would hate to put in anything more until I get it fixed/stabilized again. I'm very lucky to have an amazing Fiance that was more sad, then anything when it happened. I've had the tank almost 10 years. But was freshwater before this. Always wanted a saltwater tank and finally got this tank out of storage and cleaned it all up 6 months ago. Here's a video of when it was a freshwater tank. The Amazon leaf fish was one of my favorites!

Coinzmans Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you change the carbon in your canister? I run carbon once every couple of months for 4 weeks than discard. If your carbon was not depleted it should have helped with any possible copper, however it might not totally remove the copper as it could have been produce continually from the bad equipment.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That's a good observation and catch! I didn't think about the leaching of copper from the incident. It could be why most our soft corals are still receded some. The two big bird hammers ended up opening up pretty good yesterday though. The indo branching hammer opened up a little, then receded back down again.

Also ended up finding one of our emerald crabs had died. All 3 were still ok after the initial incident. I'm going to go out and pick up a copper test kit today. Going to order the Seachem Copper test off of amazon to be here tomorrow, then see if I can't find one local just because I'm impatient lol. At least then I can check the levels. All the fish are doing great still, so that's a big plus for me.

I'll update when I get my copper level test and see what it is. Hopefully with the 35g WC immediately after noticing when we got home that evening, then another 5g the next day would have helped with any copper leaching. But I'm not sure.

Also hoping it didn't kill all my microfauna in the tank. I had been stocking galaxy copepods from @AlgaeBarn since day one. I think I've put 20 jars of galaxy pods in, in the last 4 months. Also dosing the phytoplankton daily. Really big on getting the microfauna in the tank up, it was one of my first goals. I think it also was what was helping me be able to add in corals at such an early time frame and have them do well.
Pods are pretty resilient. They can come back so hopefully you should be ok. I'd definitely be watching the mandarin that you have to see if it is getting skinny. I'd buy a brine shrimp hatchery from Amazon just in case, they are like 25$ or so.

OP
OP
Rennurdoar

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Pods are pretty resilient. They can come back so hopefully you should be ok. I'd definitely be watching the mandarin that you have to see if it is getting skinny. I'd buy a brine shrimp hatchery from Amazon just in case, they are like 25$ or so.

Actually, bought one and brine eggs during the BRS Black Friday event lol. I still see our Mandarin, six line and ornate leopard wrasse going around eating off the rocks. So, I don't think it affected them to bad, luckily. Was really surprised to see so many living in my canister filter though.

Should be getting some more pods and photo from algaebarn soon also. Today all the LPS are looking a lot better. Two of the big bird hammers have stayed 'fluffed up' the cousin it gonis are extending. Little by little it's recovering.

Katherine Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is all happening pretty fast, Im beginning to wonder if it isnt something else such, as a contaminant, stray voltage, or big swing in temperature, or even a big swing in Alk. The other corals dont look happy either :(
I would do a big water change and run carbon.
Im sorry this is happening to you..

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's sounds ruff had to be something drastic for that to happen in such a short time frame

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This is all happening pretty fast, Im beginning to wonder if it isnt something else such, as a contaminant, stray voltage, or big swing in temperature, or even a big swing in Alk. The other corals dont look happy either :(
I would do a big water change and run carbon.
Im sorry this is happening to you..
You are spot on. He verified earlier in the thread that it was stray voltage.

OP
OP
Rennurdoar

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You are spot on. He verified earlier in the thread that it was stray voltage.

Yup :) And glad to say that things are bouncing back pretty well now. I'm hoping in a few more days the torches and one stubborn hammer are all fully extended again.

Did end up losing our emerald crabs also over the course of a week. They just ended up sitting still not moving. I could see their mouths moving some, so I knew they were still alive. Then they just never moved any more. Our cerith snails and hermit crabs seem to still be alive though. Same with our cleaner shrimp, he's been doing great the whole time.

I did another 10-gallon WC yesterday after doing a good scrubbing on most of the rocks also. In all, I've changed close to 45-55 gallons I'd say since the event. Just glad to see everything getting back to normal on the corals health and their PE is a lot better. The only SPS that made it through was my WWC Rainbow Pocillopora. So at least one made it!

Coinzmans Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair warning about your Pocillapora. At a certain size or if it comes into contact with another coral it will eject polyps into your tank and you may wind up with more than you bargained for. I sold my Pocillapora around a year ago and every couple months since I have to go on a killing spree.
I figure I have wiped out forty of them and have at least fifteen to go. The coral that keeps on giving. :confounded-face:

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair warning about your Pocillapora. At a certain size or if it comes into contact with another coral it will eject polyps into your tank and you may wind up with more than you bargained for. I sold my Pocillapora around a year ago and every couple months since I have to go on a killing spree.
I figure I have wiped out forty of them and have at least fifteen to go. The coral that keeps on giving. :confounded-face:
That's the green variety. I don't think the other colors do this.

OP
OP
Rennurdoar

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That's the green variety. I don't think the other colors do this.

I'll have to do some research on this now lol. Never heard that before, or knew of it. I'll definitely look into it though!

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 71 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back