Please help! Left this morning all good, came back a couple of hours later, a all corals look dead/dying!

OP
OP
Rennurdoar

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My tank is 5.7 without the ground probe and 0 with probe. Your tank is low very low compared to mine. I think your corals should have recovered quite soon after removing the bad equipment. Honestly I ran my tank with this voltage for a year or so before I was tired of getting shocked. After adding the probe I can't say I noticed a difference in any of the corals.
I was thinking that they should have recovered more by now also. But I just keep tossing it up now to the 30v they were at for almost 4-5 hours. I figure it just extremely stressed them all to the point where they all almost died? I'm figuring at least a week for them to recover and hoping for sooner.

Coinzmans Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PNS Probio Live purple non-sulfur bacteria (Rhodopseudomonas palustris):

-Removes Ammonia.
-Removes Phosphates.
-Free Swimming.
-Photosynthetic.
-Anaerobic.
-Selectively consumed by corals.
-This bacterium actively seeks out coral for colonization.
-Lives inside the coral with zooxanthellae.
-Naturally lives in freshwater and saltwater (intended for use in both).
-Produces a hormone for plant growth.
-Breaks down organic waste (both dissolved and particulate), including detritus, mulm, fish food, and fish waste.
-Probiotic for fish gut health.
-Great for establishing bacteria due to "old tank syndrome" reestablishing bacteria after medicating.
-Intended for regular use after aquarium cycling.
-Can be soaked in herbivore fish food to help break down cellulose in fish gut.
-Probiotic for fish gut.
-Not scientifically proven but known to prevent and out-compete bacteria causing RTN in coral.
-Can outcompete algae and cyanobacteria by form of nutrient processing and uptake.

Directions: Shake Bottle. When used as an aquarium/aquaponic inoculant, add one 16 fl oz bottle for every 400 gal system water (1.25 ml per gallon system water) in an area of high flow. For best results, cut ultraviolet/ozone sterilization for the first 24 hours of each application. May be re-dosed regularly as desired for continuous feeding or nutrient and dissolved organics management. Store at room temperature and can tolerate temperature swings of 34°F to 130°F. Sealed product shelf life of 8 months.

Ingredients: Contains reconstituted water (distilled water with restored natural minerals), 100% organic growth medium and live purple non-sulfur bacteria (Rhodopseudomonas palustris).

OP
OP
Rennurdoar

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
PNS Probio Live purple non-sulfur bacteria (Rhodopseudomonas palustris):

-Removes Ammonia.
-Removes Phosphates.
-Free Swimming.
-Photosynthetic.
-Anaerobic.
-Selectively consumed by corals.
-This bacterium actively seeks out coral for colonization.
-Lives inside the coral with zooxanthellae.
-Naturally lives in freshwater and saltwater (intended for use in both).
-Produces a hormone for plant growth.
-Breaks down organic waste (both dissolved and particulate), including detritus, mulm, fish food, and fish waste.
-Probiotic for fish gut health.
-Great for establishing bacteria due to "old tank syndrome" reestablishing bacteria after medicating.
-Intended for regular use after aquarium cycling.
-Can be soaked in herbivore fish food to help break down cellulose in fish gut.
-Probiotic for fish gut.
-Not scientifically proven but known to prevent and out-compete bacteria causing RTN in coral.
-Can outcompete algae and cyanobacteria by form of nutrient processing and uptake.

Directions: Shake Bottle. When used as an aquarium/aquaponic inoculant, add one 16 fl oz bottle for every 400 gal system water (1.25 ml per gallon system water) in an area of high flow. For best results, cut ultraviolet/ozone sterilization for the first 24 hours of each application. May be re-dosed regularly as desired for continuous feeding or nutrient and dissolved organics management. Store at room temperature and can tolerate temperature swings of 34°F to 130°F. Sealed product shelf life of 8 months.

Ingredients: Contains reconstituted water (distilled water with restored natural minerals), 100% organic growth medium and live purple non-sulfur bacteria (Rhodopseudomonas palustris).

Umm, yes? I'm not sure why you posted the PNS information? It's used quite a bit and is a coral symbiote (good for your corals). I dosed it alternating with PNS Yellow sno. Which I believe is also recommended. I may be wrong, but that's what I've been led to believe. Probio can* also help with bad algae and your corals zooxanthellae for nutrients.

Are you saying Probio is bad?

Coinzmans Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"There also seems to be a slight odor coming from the tank"

This was an interesting read. Just trying to get a handle on this stuff, could the bottom of the bottle have spoiled in some way or a bad strain of bacteria spiraled out of control in the bottom of the bottle ? Was the bottle expired?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick comment... if your snails still haven't moved, you might want to remove 1 or 2 and give them the old sniff test... They might have died and if so, you'll want to go ahead and remove them.

Sorry for your losses but thank you for posting in such detail to help the rest of us! :)

OP
OP
Rennurdoar

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
"There also seems to be a slight odor coming from the tank"

This was an interesting read. Just trying to get a handle on this stuff, could the bottom of the bottle have spoiled in some way or a bad strain of bacteria spiraled out of control in the bottom of the bottle ? Was the bottle expired?

No, I don't think it was from that. It may have been, but not related to the death of everything. I think i just smelled it more due to my skimmer having made a lot of skim mate overnight.

I've really liked the results I had seen prior, and will still be using it.

OP
OP
Rennurdoar

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just a quick comment... if your snails still haven't moved, you might want to remove 1 or 2 and give them the old sniff test... They might have died and if so, you'll want to go ahead and remove them.

Sorry for your losses but thank you for posting in such detail to help the rest of us! :)

Thanks! I did turn one over and touched the part that was still out of the shell. (with my silicone baster tip) and it retracted back into the shell. So I'm a little more hopeful on them now. I'll check the other 4 in the morning if they haven't moved still.

Since that one retracted when I checked it, I don't want to mess with the others and possibly stress them more. I figure they all were affected more because they were usually always on the other wave makers. So I'm sure they all got a jolt that way.

OP
OP
Rennurdoar

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I will say this, I'm definitely going to be investing in some Mp10s or 40s. Will be getting all electrical that I can out of the tank.

Sad Season 2 GIF by Friends

OP
OP
Rennurdoar

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Temp needs to be 78deg. SPS like 78-80deg.
Ok perfect, I'll bump it up a degree. Currently my average is 77.68

It warms up about 2 degrees when my T5s come on. It would warm up more, but I run our ceiling fan to help control the temperature rise.

OP
OP
Rennurdoar

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What was your total losses if you don't mind me asking?
Here's the painful list :crying-face:

SBB "Creature" Milli Huge 3+ Chunky Branch XXL
SBB " Cherry Unicorn" Large
SBB " After Burner" XXL Chunky
SBB " Bumble Bee" XL Multi branch
SBB " King Kong" No Colored Huge multi
SBB " Sour Patch Kids" New Release XXL 5+ branches
WWC Green Duncan
WWC Striptease Acropora
WWC Blue Stylophora
WWC Paletta Tricolor Acropora
WWC Juicy Fruit Pipe Organ
WWC Fireworks Clove Polyps
Jason Fox Fairy Tales Zoanthids
Princess Favia
TSA Northern Lights Lepto
WWC Jingle Bells Cyphastrea
Watermelon Psammy
No name Milli from my local LFS

That's it so far, hopefully everything else makes it. I have the Northern Lights Lepto still in, seeing if it comes back. No polyps visible so far, but it's not skeleton white so we'll see. Also worth noting, that all those were also on the side of the faulty wave maker mostly...

Hopefully in the next couple of days everything starts recovering better.

Hoping Neil Patrick Harris GIF

Last edited:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say this, I'm definitely going to be investing in some Mp10s or 40s. Will be getting all electrical that I can out of the tank.

Sad Season 2 GIF by Friends

Sadly, the magnets in vortechs have been known to swell/rust. Everything has a failure point I guess!

What brand of pump was it?

OP
OP
Rennurdoar

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sadly, the magnets in vortechs have been known to swell/rust. Everything has a failure point I guess!

What brand of pump was it?

Well dangit! That's a little easier to keep from happening though I guess with annual wet side changes (hopefully they don't rust within a year). Just expensive, but so is everything in our hobby haha.

The wavemaker was an Aquaneat 480Gph. I got it used with a bunch of other wavemakers when I got my pair of 16hd's. I had it in the tank for about a month before it failed. Not sure how long it was used before I had it though.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well dangit! That's a little easier to keep from happening though I guess with annual wet side changes (hopefully they don't rust within a year). Just expensive, but so is everything in our hobby haha.

The wavemaker was an Aquaneat 480Gph. I got it used with a bunch of other wavemakers when I got my pair of 16hd's. I had it in the tank for about a month before it failed. Not sure how long it was used before I had it though.

I think that is a super cheap powerhead and probably why it failed so easily, cords or not.

When I mean cheap I mean I think that they cost $10 new :)

OP
OP
Rennurdoar

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think that is a super cheap powerhead and probably why it failed so easily, cords or not.

When I mean cheap I mean I think that they cost $10 new :)

Yeah, I just looked them up... The others I'll just use as my mixing ones like I had been. The ones I originally got aren't much better probably Freesea WaveMaker

Hopefully they hold up long enough for me to get better quality ones in.

Coinzmans Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My interest is peaked with the bum wavemaker. It would be a good experiment to set up a coral or two in a tank with some lighting and flow for a day or two let them settle in and if things look normal throw the bad wavemaker in and see what the effect is.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 11.4%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 46 27.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 47.0%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back