OP
OP
Greenstarfish03

Greenstarfish03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thing is driving me crazy now im at home depot and apparently the coralife doesnt use normal pvc ditting sizes bc rhey have nothing I can attach dirextly to the uv. Ughh. This should not be this hard.

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Greenstarfish03

Greenstarfish03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably metric then. The connections for the Turbo Twist have always been a poor design that never made any sense.

OP
OP
Greenstarfish03

Greenstarfish03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably metric then. The connections for the Turbo Twist have always been a poor design that never made any sense.
Definitely metric. I spent 2 hours at home depot earlier almost missed taking my son to karate but i think I got something that will work. Found some pool flex hose that I can attach to the barb then to the pvc. I will let ypu know when I get it together @CuzzA .

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the pic @Bapeluso. I see you didn't feel comfortable w/ the bracket they sent w/ the UV either. When I went to install it last night I was concerned about using eh bracket that came w/ it.
Yeah, no. There brackets are trash. So I made some at my work with a couple scrap pieces of brass since brass doesnt rust

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, no. There brackets are trash. So I made some at my work with a couple scrap pieces of brass since brass doesnt rust

Likely fine for those hanger straps, but remember brass is copper (marine poison) and zinc so there should not be any brass touching the water. ;)

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I anchored em in pretty hefty, so I dont think I'll have to worry. They been there a long time now and no issues

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know everyone said it is best to run it right at the display but I placed mine in the sump and it has worked just as well. It needs to have a vertical set up up, and the input needs to be at the bottom, with the output at at the top.

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know everyone said it is best to run it right at the display but I placed mine in the sump and it has worked just as well. It needs to have a vertical set up up, and the input needs to be at the bottom, with the output at at the top.

You need to be more specific. Worked just as well killing Ostreopsis? Do you have a 100 gallon sump 16 feet away with a refugium?

Both vertical and horizontal are acceptable installations. The latter being better as even in a vertical installation there remains the possibility of trapped air since there's a small pocket above the output and especially if the output goes down and not up. I realized this recently by opening my control valve fully and sure enough a bunch of air was expelled. I since have decided to run the output up and into the display. Installation manuals warn about installing vertically with the output going down, but UV installs are not easy due to their design. On my next build I am going to split my return and install the UV behind the display in line with a return output. There's just never enough room in the cabinet. I'd love to have a fish room. It would make things so much easier.

Codiak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same UV, that I run at 260'ish (24/7). It doesn't seem to run "hot" ? I mean it's only been six months........

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely metric. I spent 2 hours at home depot earlier almost missed taking my son to karate but i think I got something that will work. Found some pool flex hose that I can attach to the barb then to the pvc. I will let ypu know when I get it together @CuzzA .
Good luck! Sometimes I want to rip my hair out when searching for that kinda stuff at Lowes.
In the process of moving back to my newly improved DIY sump but this does show my UV light set up.
074E9A8E-40C1-4A10-A26A-F4EEA3E83B92.jpeg

OP
OP
Greenstarfish03

Greenstarfish03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! Sometimes I want to rip my hair out when searching for that kinda stuff at Lowes.
In the process of moving back to my newly improved DIY sump but this does show my UV light set up.
074E9A8E-40C1-4A10-A26A-F4EEA3E83B92.jpeg
@Victoria M thanks for the pic. All of these ifeas help allot. I spent 2 hours at home depot and finally just decided pvc wasnt going to work so I used a piece of spa flexible hose to attach to the barb then glued pvc to the other end of that and went from there. Thanks

OP
OP
Greenstarfish03

Greenstarfish03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Victoria M After reading many op8nions on this I've came to the conclusion that it will work either way bc as someone else said its all the same water, but I do belive if you have a specific issue like dinos that live on a surface most of the time and goes into the water at times or when i nlow itboff maualy having thr uv right there sucking that water up and returning it probably will yield more faster results. In my case im not sure i want to run it all the time so my current plan is to create a mechanism that allows me to easily add it and remove it as issues arise. I may change my mind later but for now i like to proceed with new things slowely.

OP
OP
Greenstarfish03

Greenstarfish03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same UV, that I run at 260'ish (24/7). It doesn't seem to run "hot" ? I mean it's only been six months........
@Codiak what pump are you uisng and did you use a valve to reduce flow or is that just what you got from the pump? How is yours working for you?
Thanks

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Victoria M After reading many op8nions on this I've came to the conclusion that it will work either way bc as someone else said its all the same water, but I do belive if you have a specific issue like dinos that live on a surface most of the time and goes into the water at times or when i nlow itboff maualy having thr uv right there sucking that water up and returning it probably will yield more faster results. In my case im not sure i want to run it all the time so my current plan is to create a mechanism that allows me to easily add it and remove it as issues arise. I may change my mind later but for now i like to proceed with new things slowely.
Sounds good. Having a skeptical reefing style keeps you from believing everything you read online . :) Have you read the dino threads? I stopped following them closely when I cured my tank of dinos. But it had some great info in there. I also followed the elegant corals dino cure and that really helped. Pretty good info in that thread too.

OP
OP
Greenstarfish03

Greenstarfish03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to be more specific. Worked just as well killing Ostreopsis? Do you have a 100 gallon sump 16 feet away with a refugium?

Both vertical and horizontal are acceptable installations. The latter being better as even in a vertical installation there remains the possibility of trapped air since there's a small pocket above the output and especially if the output goes down and not up. I realized this recently by opening my control valve fully and sure enough a bunch of air was expelled. I since have decided to run the output up and into the display. Installation manuals warn about installing vertically with the output going down, but UV installs are not easy due to their design. On my next build I am going to split my return and install the UV behind the display in line with a return output. There's just never enough room in the cabinet. I'd love to have a fish room. It would make things so much easier.
@CuzzA So this is what I came up w/ thanks to your input. I wet tested it and everything was good but when i dropped it in the tank Im gettting a few drops leaking on the return side, but its minimal. Later I will pull it off and reglue the spa hose to the bard on the uv i think that should fix the small leak. Do you see anything else I should change or does this look ok? Its ugly but I will likely only be running it short term hopefully.

20200219_110924.jpg 20200219_110552.jpg

OP
OP
Greenstarfish03

Greenstarfish03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. Having a skeptical reefing style keeps you from believing everything you read online . :) Have you read the dino threads? I stopped following them closely when I cured my tank of dinos. But it had some great info in there. I also followed the elegant corals dino cure and that really helped. Pretty good info in that thread too.
@Victoria M I have read a lot of the dino threads but they are a bit overwhelming. In 15 years I have never had dinos so this a pain. Do u know what species you had? I haven't really done anything for mine yet exceptvdosed micobacter7 and stopped water changes and i think the are improving but Im hoping adding the uv now will knock them out. The lack of water changes is starting to allow hair algae to grow which i never get sonI dont want this to fo on too long or I will have an issue w that next;)

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CuzzA So this is what I came up w/ thanks to your input. I wet tested it and everything was good but when i dropped it in the tank Im gettting a few drops leaking on the return side, but its minimal. Later I will pull it off and reglue the spa hose to the bard on the uv i think that should fix the small leak. Do you see anything else I should change or does this look ok? Its ugly but I will likely only be running it short term hopefully.

20200219_110924.jpg 20200219_110552.jpg
Looks great. Now you can use it as needed or maybe if you feel you want to keep it online permanently you can just hang it on your sump.

If the dinos get worse I'd try going lights out.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back