OP
OP
Greenstarfish03

Greenstarfish03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great. Now you can use it as needed or maybe if you feel you want to keep it online permanently you can just hang it on your sump.

If the dinos get worse I'd try going lights out.
Yea makes sense. They seem to disappear at night so I assume they go into the sand or water column at night.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Victoria M I have read a lot of the dino threads but they are a bit overwhelming. In 15 years I have never had dinos so this a pain. Do u know what species you had? I haven't really done anything for mine yet exceptvdosed micobacter7 and stopped water changes and i think the are improving but Im hoping adding the uv now will knock them out. The lack of water changes is starting to allow hair algae to grow which i never get sonI dont want this to fo on too long or I will have an issue w that next;)
Yes, I understand about being overwhelmed with the thread. I actually PM’d taricha because I needed 1:1 guidance. He instructed me to reduce the light schedule or even turn them off for a day or two to force the dinos that were on the rocks into the water column so that UV could get at them. UV did not work on the amphidinium dinos as they are a sand loving dino and bury rather than swim into the water column. Increasing the Phos and Nitrate did not really help me, either. I did do the elegant corals protocol (loosely) and that wiped the amphidinium out. Weirdly I have some small patches growing right now, after they have been gone for many months.

Nobody077

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the old 36w turbo twist 12, no pics but currently have it vertical in first chamber of the sump, pump with valve to adjust flow connected to input with silicon hose stretched over barb. Output is silicone hose to some pvc dumping into next chamber. I'm running flow around 275 gph since coralife recommends 290gph for parasites,if i get a alge bloom I can increase flow to treat more water.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the old 36w turbo twist 12, no pics but currently have it vertical in first chamber of the sump, pump with valve to adjust flow connected to input with silicon hose stretched over barb. Output is silicone hose to some pvc dumping into next chamber. I'm running flow around 275 gph since coralife recommends 290gph for parasites,if i get a alge bloom I can increase flow to treat more water.
It makes it easier to go back and forth with the valve if you place a mark on the valve handle and on the valve body. That way you know where to place the valve back by lining up the marks. Better than trying to calculate flow each time you adjust the valve.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back