Please help me identify my issue

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I'm hoping you can all help me out. I've hit one of those points in the hobby where I've been extremely humbled by something occurring in my tank that I have no knowledge about. I feel helpless and I'm hoping you all may know something. At the end of November of last year I added 8 anthias and 1 pintail fairy wrasse to my tank, prior to those additions I had 8 fish. About a week or 2 after the adding the fish I noticed one day my soft coral took a huge hit, my weeping willow toadstool, fingerleather, 3 other green toadstools, and a big crown leather all showed signs of stress, they all closed up and haven't opened since then. I then started getting red algae on my sand bed which started off as free algae, my tank is a 6x2x2 180g which runs 2 mp40s on the highest setting as well as about 2kgph from my return pumps so I have plenty of flow running through my tank. The algae on my sandbed started off green and now is red, I started doing water changes to try to dilute whatever was going on with my tank, I did a couple 30g water changes a month, nothing changed. I used chemiclean on my tank, still didn't do anything so I also did a 60g water change after chemiclean and still nothing changed. It's been 3 weeks since i last chemicleaned my tank so this time I added red slime remover from chemiclean 2 days ago, I will probably do a big water change tomorrow or on Monday. I'm gonna go ahead and post pictures of the algae and some corals so you can see what's going on, I also did 2 icp tests in the month and nothing seemed crazy. Can anyone help me connect the dots on what's going on?

280D8E83-32DA-47F4-9745-686763D7560E.jpeg DF9CC12F-C3E4-46A3-9D57-F35252359128.jpeg 45EF70A2-06B6-4B84-B0E2-F4D61F948502.jpeg

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I'm hoping you can all help me out. I've hit one of those points in the hobby where I've been extremely humbled by something occurring in my tank that I have no knowledge about. I feel helpless and I'm hoping you all may know something. At the end of November of last year I added 8 anthias and 1 pintail fairy wrasse to my tank, prior to those additions I had 8 fish. About a week or 2 after the adding the fish I noticed one day my soft coral took a huge hit, my weeping willow toadstool, fingerleather, 3 other green toadstools, and a big crown leather all showed signs of stress, they all closed up and haven't opened since then. I then started getting red algae on my sand bed which started off as free algae, my tank is a 6x2x2 180g which runs 2 mp40s on the highest setting as well as about 2kgph from my return pumps so I have plenty of flow running through my tank. The algae on my sandbed started off green and now is red, I started doing water changes to try to dilute whatever was going on with my tank, I did a couple 30g water changes a month, nothing changed. I used chemiclean on my tank, still didn't do anything so I also did a 60g water change after chemiclean and still nothing changed. It's been 3 weeks since i last chemicleaned my tank so this time I added red slime remover from chemiclean 2 days ago, I will probably do a big water change tomorrow or on Monday. I'm gonna go ahead and post pictures of the algae and some corals so you can see what's going on, I also did 2 icp tests in the month and nothing seemed crazy. Can anyone help me connect the dots on what's going on?

280D8E83-32DA-47F4-9745-686763D7560E.jpeg DF9CC12F-C3E4-46A3-9D57-F35252359128.jpeg 45EF70A2-06B6-4B84-B0E2-F4D61F948502.jpeg
For some reason I can't add all the pictures.

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One other key thing I forgot to mention is that when my lights are off, everything is clean and clear but as my lights kick on I can see the algae or whatever it may be start growing on my sandbed and progressively gets worse as my lights stay on.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering the types of soft corals in your system, especially the leather corals, I would not rule out chemical warfare. With that said, I would be running GAC.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering the types of soft corals in your system, especially the leather corals, I would not rule out chemical warfare. With that said, I would be running GAC.
I run the Seachem stuff ..Purigen, can’t swear it’s a cure all but you will absolutely see a difference.. also maybe cop a iodine test kit while you are at it…

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 41 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 148 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back