Please help me...

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will it go away?

Yes. Generally it is caused by excessive nutrients and insufficient flow. I am guessing flow is an issue based off what i can see in picture.

Chemiclean treatment also does work very well in eliminating it if you want to go the chemical route....however if the conditions that caused it in the first place are not changed it will come back. I have used it in the past after i corrected the poor conditions because it can be a pain to get rid of once established.

It is not terribly uncommon though on new tanks(though usually the red variety).

Unregistered1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if sure if red slime bacteria remover works for green ...I think that a blue algae

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if sure if red slime bacteria remover works for green ...I think that a blue algae

Yes it is a "blue green algae".... Though not an algae....and red cyano is also a "blue green algae". Never personally had green cyano, but as i understand it the antibacterial would still work.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have any corals cant tell if you have crabs or snails but you definitely need some of those. But a good bet for you is to use some chemiclean I think. Its pretty cheap and usually does the trick with cyano

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a normal new tank to me. But I would actually like to see more green algae which would be healthier at this point.
Good Luck

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the brand “red slime” because that all my LFS had. I was looking for chemi-clean. If your going to buy online I would go that route.

Chemi-Clean - 2 g

Also if you don’t want to go the chemical route, which most on here advices, here’s a link, I just took the easy way out.

Heres a photo of what I used, also from what I hear, your PH goes crazy, I didn’t test after using it, all my coral stayed happy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 12

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your phosphates at? Cynobacteria is very common in newer tanks and is considered to be part of the ugly stage. I'm going to guess 95% of people here at one time have had to deal with cyno. I'm not convinced that there is a definitive cause of it, as it can happen in both low and high nutrient systems. However there are a ton of ways to deal with it.

Chemiclean does work, but make sure to aerate heavily if you do go this route or you could kill your fish. (i've heard conflicting accounts on what it actually is from an anti-bacterial to an oxidizer.)

Other options are rip-cleaning, dosing bacteria, getting a bigger clean up crew, just waiting it out or a combination of those. (probably a few more I forgot about)

I choose the chemiclean option after raising my nutrients (which were zero). I choose this because the cyno was killing my corals and waiting didn't seem to be an option. I'm hoping by killing all the cyno at once it will give time for competing organisms to thrive. Time will tell if this strategy will work.

Good luck on your journey, you're not alone!

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your alk is a little on the high side for the lower nutrient levels .
210ppm =11.76 dkh
Nitrates being 5
What are your phosphate levels ?

for nitrates at 5 I’d slowly lower alk to 7.5 - 8.5

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd buy a conch for the sand bed and add clean up crew, and try to eliminate things naturally first. Leave the big guns for when you have absolutley run out of options.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back