Please help, roundworm/fluke?

HollyFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I lost a firefish to what I’m assuming was roundworm or fluke. I’ll post a pic of it hanging from my firefish’s Gill. I tried to QT and freshwater dip but was too late. Now I’m not sure what to do. I’m buying everything for a legit 10 g QT tank but obviously it won’t be cycled. I have 2 clowns, a chromis, and a spotted mandarin goby in the DT and all seem healthy and fine. Im assuming I need to QT and treat the rest of my fish and my inverts will be fine in the DT. How long should I QT, how often are water changes when not using a cycled QT? Do I need to add copepods to the QT for the goby or just feed frozen? Sorry for the long post, been a crappy last 24 hours for my tank and I don’t want to lose my other guys. Thanks in advance for the help! (Pic of firefish Gill with worm in it in comments)

4E4CC362-CE7F-4079-9FBE-A8B9AA3BA1ED.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to see in the photo, but run a Google image search for serpentisaccus that is a copepod parasite of fire fish. If that was it, it won’t affect your other fish.
Jay

OP
OP
HollyFish

HollyFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to see in the photo, but run a Google image search for serpentisaccus that is a copepod parasite of fire fish. If that was it, it won’t affect your other fish.
Jay
I literally was about to QT my clowns, chromis, and goby but think you might’ve saved me from doing it. That looks like them. Does this pic help? I would love to not have to QT my fish and possibly stress and kill them if I don’t need to

Attachments

• DFCC3A85-B60A-43AF-8598-F871C5BFD9DB.jpeg
    DFCC3A85-B60A-43AF-8598-F871C5BFD9DB.jpeg
    17.3 KB · Views: 23

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does look like the egg case from that copepod....that said, I can’t say for sure that something else didn’t kill the fire fish

Jay

OP
OP
HollyFish

HollyFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does look like the egg case from that copepod....that said, I can’t say for sure that something else didn’t kill the fire fish

Jay
After researching it, it looks like you nailed it on the head. I went ahead and set up the QT just in case I need it in the future. Thank you so much for saying it’s name, I’ve posted all over and no one has mentioned this parasite

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back