Please help with Alk precipitation

FISHPIG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a heck of a time combating Alk buildup precip on my glass . I need help. I have had a RSM 250 for a year now reef tank . Parameters are salt 35, Alk 9 calcium 430 , mag 1380 ph 8.3 nitrates 15 phosphate is .05 . I am dosing BRS two part pouches of soda ash , calcium and magnesium . I dose each every 3 hours, never dosing different additives at the same time. I use phosguard , and carbon .
every 24 hrs I have to scrape Alk buildup off the glass as it becomes frosted . My heaters and power heads are also encrusted and I have to clean them often with citric acid . The seabed is not clumpy , but the pouch with the phosguard is hard as a rock . The sponges in the filters are almost brittle feeling . I know these are signs of a precipitating event . But this is an ongoing syndrome in my tank . I read here to try switching to Bicarbonate instead of soda ash . I think that’s my next move . I have tried stopping dosing for 12 hrs . It helps , but my Alk drops to 7 . I appreciate any input . Thank you , Ned

137F17F5-541E-44F4-97E3-5358351561F8.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 29.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back