Please help with my new setup

jesswalker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I'm a newbie, both in marine keeping and forums, so any advice would be a huge help.
I've just purchased a new Boyo hs-60a. Could anybody tell me if I need any extras to add for a seahorse setup? Here's my tank

http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/sale/aquarium-nano-tank-128-litres-boyu-hs-60.html

(I'm in NO rush to add any horses) i will not be rushing into anything for some months, I'd just like to know if this tank is suitable as it is. Also, is live rock and coral sand okay with a few seahorse safe corals?

Any advice or opinions are really welcome. :)

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seahorses need water that isn't too turbulent and it's best to get one that's been bred rather than wild. The wild ones will sometimes take only live food. They're really hard to take care of. If you're new to marine aquariums you might want to start with something easier. Just my humble opinion.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
12g Nanoreef. Zooanthids, Ricordia, Star Polyps and two clownfish.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, welcome to R2R!!

That tank is an all in one tank and typically they have a tendency to run on the hot side. I would recommend to have a chiller to keep the tank at about 72, depending on what seahorses you plan keeping. Seahorses will hitch on anything they can wrap their little tails around. I would make sure the filter tubes have a mesh guard to make sure that they do not get injured.

As far as live rock goes, I would go with dry rock. Live rock can contain some unwanted hitchhikers that can be harmful to seahorses.

Good luck with the tank!! :)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back