OP
J

JamesS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recalibrated my Milwakee Refractometer and tested salinity several times. Each time it came back at 1.025

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tank is almost exactly 11 Mo's old. I cycled the tank with Dr Tim's One and Only. I let it run for 30 days prior to adding my first two fish.
Double check salinity and the fish. . . any of them pooping white and stringy ?

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After adding them directly to my DT, without doing my QT protocol, I began to notice a white like coating on my powder blue tang, fuzzy-looking fins and some spots that looked a bit like ich.

Thanks for the parameters!

This seems odd, because it seems like a disease, but does not seem like something that would cause the death of an anemone? Only thing I can think is maybe stability was thrown off while trying to treat this fish and anemone died from that? Maybe leading to some fish dying of disease and others from anemone toxin? That is a stretch though.

OP
OP
J

JamesS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For about a week or two before my trip the anemone was looking a little off, on occasion I found the mouth opened and the anemone shriveled up and then the next day it looks totally normal. This happened a number of times until I found it Sunday morning with its foot peeling away from the rock and the dead fish.

I'm wondering if there might have been two issues unrelated but going on at the same time, anenome dying and the addition of one or two infected fish???

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dusting sure describes velvet, as does cloudy eyes (velvet and secondary bacterial infection).

Are the remaining fish breathing heavily? Hiding from light? Scratching? Flashing?

I agree, don’t trust anyone else to QT your fish.

OP
OP
J

JamesS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dusting sure describes velvet, as does cloudy eyes (velvet and secondary bacterial infection).

Are the remaining fish breathing heavily? Hiding from light? Scratching? Flashing?

OP
OP
J

JamesS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Three of the remaining four fish appear normal??? I have one chromis who does seem like he was avoiding the light and still is breathing heavy.

OP
OP
J

JamesS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My QT is coming up to temp and nearly ready for fish. I'm going to pull all four out of the DT and put into the QT. Would you start with copper power immediately? Begin with levels right at 2.0 or start lower and bring up over several days? I have AAP Spectrogram, would you recommend starting it as well?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Freshwater dip will remove parasites from the fish's gills and buy the fish some time.

Then immediately give the fish a 90 minute bath in an acriflavine product like Ruby Reef Rally. This step has greatly increased survival rates, even in heavily covered velvet infected fish.

For active velvet, we're recommending starting at 1.0 ppm and then moving to 2.0 ppm of Copper Power or Coppersafe within 48 hours. Small regular doses are easier on the fish and allows you to watch for copper sensitivity of a fish.

Can start Spectrogram at the same time. But it is advised to run a powerhead aimed up at the surface where it is actively rippling the water surface.

Feed the fish a wide variety of food rich in proteins and fats. Frozen foods are preferred. Add some vitamins like Selcon, Zoecon, etc. And Beta Glucan it greatly helps the fish's immune system.

Last edited:

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's what I was thinking, just odd timing with them nem.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was thinking, just odd timing with them nem.
The anemone dirtying the water would exacerbate any disease or parasite as it would weaken the immune response of the fish further.

OP
OP
J

JamesS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the help guys, really appreciated the support. Sadly the remaining fish were lost durning the night.

Going fallow for six weeks and I will never repeat that mistake. Thanks again.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the help guys, really appreciated the support. Sadly the remaining fish were lost durning the night.

I believe the fallow period is minimum of 76 days. Please confirm. I'd hate to see you go through all of this only to have a reoccurrence.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry about your losses. This hobby has a rather steep and harsh learning/experience curve. Make sure to stir your sand thoroughly on occasion. There have been studies showing some parasites can go dormant in anaerobic environments.

OP
OP
J

JamesS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again guys for the support and tips! This is such a great community and resource!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back