Please Help!

JamesS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short I've lost an anemone and 8 fish in the last four days. My water parameters are all WNL, one of my heaters went out so temp was a little low, never got below 76 degrees. I think I must have some sort of bacterial or protozoan infection in the water. I really need advice on what should I do now. I have a UV light ordered, won't be here in time to do any good. I have a chromis who looks like he is about to die, cloudy eye, losing color from his head, another Chromis that seems totally fine and swimming around the tank like he is the new tank boss. A diamond goby who seems completely fine and could careless about the missing tank mates. A pintail wrasse hiding in a mucus cocoon and I lost this yellow tang this morning... Suggestions please!

IMG_7889.JPG IMG_7891.JPG IMG_7892.JPG IMG_7896.JPG IMG_7902.JPG Yellow Tang.jpg

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad

@ngoodermuth
@Big G
@Frtdrmrose7
@Brew12
@Humblefish

I am not as good with this stuff, but the reefers above can offer some more guidance.

In mean time, please post exact parameters and tell us about all equipment you have online. Check cords for any exposed electrical and let us know what (if any) QT supplies you have.

This will help us all make better recommendations that are actually helpful.

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish dying that quickly is very odd, let's step back and look at big picture items. What could effect everyone this quick.

1) Salinity
2) Electrical
3) Contaminate in water? Any chance of accidental contamination of chemical?
4) Rapid Infection? Less likely but possible, any new additions?

Knpowell1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would quarrentine the fish and treat with copper sounds kinda like what I just went thru. We dealt with marine velvet. The same thing started to happen to our chromis then the rest of the fish got infected lost a coral beauty in the mix and a silver banded butterfly.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short I've lost an anemone and 8 fish in the last four days. My water parameters are all WNL, one of my heaters went out so temp was a little low, never got below 76 degrees. I think I must have some sort of bacterial or protozoan infection in the water. I really need advice on what should I do now. I have a UV light ordered, won't be here in time to do any good. I have a chromis who looks like he is about to die, cloudy eye, losing color from his head, another Chromis that seems totally fine and swimming around the tank like he is the new tank boss. A diamond goby who seems completely fine and could careless about the missing tank mates. A pintail wrasse hiding in a mucus cocoon and I lost this yellow tang this morning... Suggestions please!

IMG_7889.JPG IMG_7891.JPG IMG_7892.JPG IMG_7896.JPG IMG_7902.JPG Yellow Tang.jpg
Any new fish, corals or inverts added to the tank in the last 30 days or so?

my.PsychReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need more info to understand what is actually happening. Age of the tank, and all the parameters including any trace of amonia, nitrites, and nitrates, +salinity.

OP
OP
J

JamesS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the rapid response! Tank is 100 gallons and 11 months old. Has been extremely stable until about 3 weeks ago. I added a Midas blenny and a diamond goby from my LFS. Up to this point I have QT every fish myself I used copper power and followed a protocol I saw posted by Humblefish. My LFS QT's fish and she told me that she did with these two fish. I believed her, I've known her for a number of months and had no reason to doubt her until now. After adding them directly to my DT, without doing my QT protocol, I began to notice a white like coating on my powder blue tang, fuzzy-looking fins and some spots that looked a bit like ich. Every week I do about a 15 gal water change and do my very best to stay on top of all tank maintenance. I have been using Vibant for the last several months. Feed the few corals I have some BRS reef chili and occasionally Coral Amino by Britewell.

Alkalinity is 8.1, Ca is 433, Mg is 1418, Ammonia is 0, nitrate is 5, Phosphate is .17, Salinity is 1.024

Last edited:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but the only QT you can truly trust is your own. QT can mean a lot of different things to different people. And then there is the control of a QT. All it would take is just one use of a net from a tank with parasites and boom. That tool is contaminated and then used in the tank where your fish were being QT'd. Too many variables to imagine.

OP
OP
J

JamesS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but the only QT you can truly trust is your own. QT can mean a lot of different things to different people. And then there is the control of a QT. All it would take is just one use of a net from a tank with parasites and boom. That tool is contaminated and then used in the tank where your fish were being QT'd. Too many variables to imagine.

Sadly, I understand that now and feel awful that my fish had to die because of my stupidity.

OP
OP
J

JamesS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got my QT started and almost ready to receive some fish if needed??? Is this marine velvet?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it is velvet. The anemone would be completely unaffected. Do you run GAC in your system?

OP
OP
J

JamesS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a dumb question, if I had a stray electrical current would I feel it if I put my hand in the tank? If so, I've never noticed anything.

OP
OP
J

JamesS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GAC! Yes, Granular activated carbon, I added some Sunday after I found the dead fish and cloudy water. I use BRS Rox .8 and I did add an extra tablespoon, 10 total, I usually run 9 when I use it.

I started RowaPhos about 6-8 weeks ago. I had been using BRS GFO prior to this.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Double and triple check and verify salinity. (should be 1.025 range)
Big question.... based on number of fish- WHAT IS AGE OF TANK AND HOW LONG CYCLED??

OP
OP
J

JamesS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double and triple check and verify salinity. (should be 1.025 range)
Big question.... based on number of fish- WHAT IS AGE OF TANK AND HOW LONG CYCLED??

Tank is almost exactly 11 Mo's old. I cycled the tank with Dr Tim's One and Only. I let it run for 30 days prior to adding my first two fish.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back