Please help

Fulzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am planning to upgrade my 10 gallon tank into a 29 gallon tank and concerting my 10 gallon into a sump.
what is the best way to go about it?
I currently have 2 occelaris clowns, a bicolor Blenny, 2 emerald crabs and 3 scarlet reef hermits.
If I use the old water and old rocks in my current tank into the new one, do I still have to cycle the 29 gallon?
Please help! All advice is greatly appreciated

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will lose some good microfauna in the sand and on the walls of the tank but as long as you transfer your biomedia (if you have it) and rocks over, you shouldn't have a big issue. Don't reuse old water, there is no point. Basically just have the new tank at the same temperature and salainity and you can move them right over. I assume you are getting new live sand for the 29g?

Ps if may not hurt to add something like ecobalance or some other bacteria like microbacter7 to increase the biodiversity in the new sand (it is live but still its not a bad idea.

OP
OP
F

Fulzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am going to use new sad for the 29g
Do I have to go through the nitrogen cycle again?

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're using the rock and media from your current display the answer is no you shouldn't have a cycle again. It's still worth checking the parameters fairly regularly for the first 2 weeks but you should be fine, as suggested previous it won't hurt to add a bottled bacteria products such as microbacter7 or ATM colony to help kickstart the sandbed

OP
OP
F

Fulzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should set up the new tank and let it cycle completely if yoou're doing all new sand and rocks.
I was going to keep my rocks, only add new sand and maybe seed it a little bit with the older stuff

OP
OP
F

Fulzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're using the rock and media from your current display the answer is no you shouldn't have a cycle again. It's still worth checking the parameters fairly regularly for the first 2 weeks but you should be fine, as suggested previous it won't hurt to add a bottled bacteria products such as microbacter7 or ATM colony to help kickstart the sandbed
Sounds good, as far as media goes the only stuff I have is the ceramics inside of the canister filter I have

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to keep my rocks, only add new sand and maybe seed it a little bit with the older stuff
you usually want a pound of rock per gallon of water. at least that used to be a norm, who knows now lol. will you use media in your sump?

OP
OP
F

Fulzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you usually want a pound of rock per gallon of water. at least that used to be a norm, who knows now lol. will you use media in your sump?
I have about 10 or so pounds inside my tank now and I orders 25 more pounds from marine depot I believe and I am planing on using marine pure cubes in the sump along with some clean cheato algae

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will be fine, just pop it in a media bag and then drop it in the sump! You can just put it in loose but in a bag is easier for maintenance!

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Move your rocks and equipment over, get new sand. You can add a bottle of Biospira if you want, but shouldn’t be necessary. Make sure to rinse the new sand really well. I just moved and set up a new tank with new sand, matched salinity and temp, then went to the old house and tossed rocks and livestock into 5 gal buckets, brought them to the new house, tossed them in the tank and everything was fine. Mixed reef, no losses and no cycle.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Move your rocks and equipment over, get new sand. You can add a bottle of Biospira if you want, but shouldn’t be necessary. Make sure to rinse the new sand really well. I just moved and set up a new tank with new sand, matched salinity and temp, then went to the old house and tossed rocks and livestock into 5 gal buckets, brought them to the new house, tossed them in the tank and everything was fine. Mixed reef, no losses and no cycle.

If it is live sand then rinsing is a bad idea as it will kill all the bacteria off.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am going to use new sad for the 29g
Do I have to go through the nitrogen cycle again?

No as long as you don't let your rocks dry out or anything like that. You will have a new start to biodiversity in the sand other than what comes in the live sand, but you should be fine. Again, it doesn't hurt to add something like PNS probio, dr tims eco balance, etc. to help start your microbe diversity in gear.

OP
OP
F

Fulzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B47131D6-726B-48A1-8BCA-F9DC03E16AAB.jpeg
Here’s the final tank set up everyone! Thanks again for all the advice

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 44 28.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 32 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 54 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back