Please Help!

bargenq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I got in way over my head. I wanted to upgrade my JBJ 45 all in one to a 180 with a large basement sump. I have been in the hobby for about 1.5 years. I have an RODI system, I mix my own saltwater, I have some plumbing experience, etc.

I don’t know What in the heck is going on with the setup, but I cannot seem to figure out the overflow/pump. I have the aqueon mega flow system attached to PVC. I have two overflows with gate valves (1 1/2”) and two pump lines with check valves (1”). It was hell converting from the barb fittings off the bulkheads to the PVC, but I used flexible tubing etc. I have unions above the floor below the tank and unions above the pumps so I can take apart and clean when needed.

I originally purchased two Jebao 12000DC return pumps to save money and they were way too loud and obnoxious and reverberated through the floor (along with lack of flow), so I returned those and bought what was recommended at the LFS, which are two Vectra L2 pumps. I was assured that these are WAY overpowered and should be plenty for what I need. I am having the same flow issues as the Jebao pumps and I cannot figure out what setting to put the pumps on to get good flow versus where to put the gate valves so the overflows are quiet. It seems like it’s always on the brink of overflowing when the overflows are quiet or there is no flow and the overflows are incredibly bubbly and loud.

I am extremely frustrated and upset. What am I doing wrong and why is this so hard? It seems like there are no how-to guides on how to set up a system like this; there is so much variance that I can’t get proper instructions for my exact set up. Please help!!! I am ready to give up. The tank is also 100% level, yet the two overflow/pump combinations seem to be on different planets from each other as far as settings go. I tried to use as few junctions/90s/45s as possible, but the pump line that is practically a straight line up has way less flow than the one with turns. I don’t get it!!

Tumey

Reefer With A Broken Brain ( TBI Survivor )
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
Are you trying to run separate drains from each overflow to the sump? My thoughts are that you’ll continue to struggle with flow unless they’re tied together into one main drain to your sump. Having the gate valve close to the sump will help to quiet things down. From here you can adjust the returns to achieve your desired flow.

OP
OP
B

bargenq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running two drains (overflows) and two return pumps.

65D37481-4BF6-48CA-9097-3C7761E7C631.jpeg E0C1D384-83F4-4315-816C-A04AD5583CD3.jpeg 4CD81C39-6AE7-42AB-9F28-03C79E706180.jpeg 04A33148-FA9D-45E2-A689-BDC03B9C70BD.jpeg 6F3C60FA-08B6-4F9D-8BFD-FA5CB63748D7.jpeg

Tumey

Reefer With A Broken Brain ( TBI Survivor )
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again these are only my thoughts. Right now you’re trying to balance the flow in the tank on each side. If you were to tie the drains together you’re adjusting one volume of water. Both overflows will rise or fall at the same rate making things easier to dial in.

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have reducers on your return line.
From 1" to what? 3/4"?

My guess would be those bulkhead conversion. Why can't you buy a slip and slip bulkhead?

I think you have to figure out the return pump flow 1st before you try to make it quiet.

If it's me, I would change both overflow to herbie style(yes using both pipe) then for the return line, I would do it over the top of tank.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back