Please.....I Need Help!!!!!

Drie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’m new here. I have a tank that’s about 125 gallons, I inherited this awesome tank from the previous owner. He didn’t really explain how to care for the tank other than feed the fish and make sure to dump the poopy water, and he said everything else would be fine. So a few weeks after he left two of my fish died as well as all of my sea anemones and now I have some sort of white algae on my coral or at least that’s what I think it is and now it’s starting to get this bright green stuff on it too. Like I really want to keep this tank it keeps me relaxed. So I was just wondering if anyone knew what this is what I can do to keep my tank in tip top shape

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone to help, you need to give much more details to get a better picture: Water parameter's ( ammonia? nitrate? po4? Alk? magnesium? calcium? ), sump, filtration used, age of tank, . Basically a full picture and a pic of the tank and algae would help also.

OP
OP
Drie

Drie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my tank. As far as everything else you mentioned I have no idea what you’re referring to....sorry

0C4CDE8E-9AF2-4944-A1A0-511E9D1CC6E7.jpeg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need some parameters. If you don't have any test kits, go to an LFS with a sample and get the water tested. Post those results when you get them.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very likely it is going through a mini cycle or something of the sort. Did you reuse the sand or buy new sand? If you used the old you likely released nutrients that caused major spikes. I can tell there are nutrient issues from all of the algae either way. Try to do some water changes and it will clear up with time. I second what was said above, water test kits can be important, especially at the beginning.

Coralfuture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I'm gonna say based on the poor info the guy you bought it from gave you and what it sounds like you know about this that obviously it could be a large number of things but maybe the easy ones are best to hit.

#1 Are you topping off the water for what evaporates? RODI or Tap Water if so?
#2 Just how much food are you feeding each day? (same as this guy you purchased from did?)
#3 Have you done a water change yet?
#4 What's the temp?

These should help us a little bit at least when we have no parameters to work with

racin2438

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very likely it is going through a mini cycle or something of the sort. Did you reuse the sand or buy new sand? If you used the old you likely released nutrients that caused major spikes. I can tell there are nutrient issues from all of the algae either way. Try to do some water changes and it will clear up with time. I second what was said above, water test kits can be important, especially at the beginning.

Well said.......

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! It looks like you have some bacteria growing there, white growth, How much and when are you feeding. Decaying food is usually the reason for it. There are a lot of great threads on tank husbandry here. You need to check them out. Saltwater tanks take a lot of TLC.

welcom.jpg

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’m new here. I have a tank that’s about 125 gallons, I inherited this awesome tank from the previous owner. He didn’t really explain how to care for the tank other than feed the fish and make sure to dump the poopy water, and he said everything else would be fine. So a few weeks after he left two of my fish died as well as all of my sea anemones and now I have some sort of white algae on my coral or at least that’s what I think it is and now it’s starting to get this bright green stuff on it too. Like I really want to keep this tank it keeps me relaxed. So I was just wondering if anyone knew what this is what I can do to keep my tank in tip top shape

I hear you! I'm sitting here looking at my tank, glass of wine in hand, and I swear I can FEEL my blood pressure coming down after an annoying day. You've come to the right place for help.

Reefing has it's relaxing side, but it's challenges as well. Read the link dbl posted, and come back with your questions. You'll have many :)

And WELCOME !

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 125 75.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back