OP
Ponraj A

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple years ago i got the same **** in my sump for the 1st 3 months when i started carbon dosing my current tank, it went away on its own. Was told it was from the carbon dosing.

@HB AL
Thanks for your reply and have got the same replies form most of the friends here. Will work on the same too.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its in your piping too i bet, if you shut off the return pump then turn it back on a bunch is gonna flow in pieces into the tank, catch it with a net when you turn it back on. It didnt grow where my lights hit.

OP
OP
Ponraj A

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its in your piping too i bet, if you shut off the return pump then turn it back on a bunch is gonna flow in pieces into the tank, catch it with a net when you turn it back on. It didnt grow where my lights hit.

Yes exactly the same is happening I have to catch with the net all of them which is coming when the pump restarts some or even getting stuck in birds nest corals and have to blow them and net them out[emoji33][emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Organics and slime. Simply remove and vinegar soak for 6- 24 hrs depending how long you can go without that pump. Rinse well and take an algae scrubber and wipe the inside of your sump to remove slime. Consider adding a filter sock ( even a mesh type) to catch this stuff and contain it from your sump. Easier to rinse/clean the sock that to clean the sump over and over

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ReeferMaddness843
any suggestion on how to avoid this bacteria slime?

You could route the effluent (the output) through a filter sock or a cup of filter padding/floss. Personally, I would use a 50 micron sock and they're hard to find. I had to custom order mine. But maybe one of those filter cups packed with padding would do the trick because it's not a high amount of of flow.

OP
OP
Ponraj A

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could route the effluent (the output) through a filter sock or a cup of filter padding/floss. Personally, I would use a 50 micron sock and they're hard to find. I had to custom order mine. But maybe one of those filter cups packed with padding would do the trick because it's not a high amount of of flow.
@Forsaken77 thanks for your reply and i am using 50 micron nylon filter sock DIY. I can use it and since the height of the effluent output from the nitrate reactor is lower to the sump wall i have to find a way to hang the filter sock now....

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Forsaken77 thanks for your reply and i am using 50 micron nylon filter sock DIY. I can use it and since the height of the effluent output from the nitrate reactor is lower to the sump wall i have to find a way to hang the filter sock now....

Can't you just stack the reactor on something to raise it?

What I actually did was put a small nail in the back of my stand and use a 7x16 felt sock with drawstring and tied it to the nail. Or you can tie any drawstring on the plumbing. Felt would probably catch more of that stuff than nylon if this sock is just for the effluent. It may even be more beneficial to keep the sock suspended above the water. Just an option ;). But then you'd really have to raise the reactor.

OP
OP
Ponraj A

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't you just stack the reactor on something to raise it?

What I actually did was put a small nail in the back of my stand and use a 7x16 felt sock with drawstring and tied it to the nail. Or you can tie any drawstring on the plumbing. Felt would probably catch more of that stuff than nylon if this sock is just for the effluent. It may even be more beneficial to keep the sock suspended above the water. Just an option ;). But then you'd really have to raise the reactor.
@Forsaken77 thanks for your suggestion and the only option left is to raise the reactor up. working on that and I hope i will do that within this week.

Steven Postalwait

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a very sudden outbreak of white slime in the chambers of my AIO nano when I was dosing NOPOX. Cleaned it out and stopped dosing it, and haven’t seen any since.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 10 17.2%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back