Please look over my ICP results.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iron is definitely need by lots of things marine. Check out "ocean fertilization" wiki. Will get you going down a rabbit hole.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading this makes me really excited!
I had the same feeling when I dosed Chaeto Gro. Still thinking about experiments to further explore the effect on biofilm formation.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Cheato Gro covers most of my deficiencies. But it kind of bother me how there are a few that none of the supplements on the market are covering.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there such thing as a perfect ICP test?
Not reallly.

And for that reason @taricha, @Rick Mathew and I are attempting to come up with a way to use ICP data, recognizing we have at this time no way to tell how accurate the results are or whether the results vary so much to make trending trace element concentrations or making dosing decisions based on ICP data a waste of time and money. We might have some thoughts on the subject before the end of the year.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley @Dan_P @taricha

I have a question/discovery.

We are aware of the cation and anion categories of trace elements. Here is the tropic Marin quote to ensure we are on the same page:
A- ELEMENTS - contains anions of the trace elements bromine, fluorine, iodine, lithium, molybdenum, selenium and vanadium in pure mineral form

• K+ ELEMENTS - contains cations of the trace elements barium, chrome, cobalt, iron, copper, manganese, nickel, strontium and zinc in pure mineral form

My ICP test shows that I’m deficient in the the cation trace elements.

I just upgraded my DI resins to have cation and anion filters separate instead of a mixed bed because my DI was getting prematurely expired. I assumed my tap water is higher in one of the metals so even though half of the DI isn’t expired, it will leach out TDS because water is making it through unfiltered.

There were times that my DI gave off higher TDS.

I assumed that my water had to be higher in the anion range because these elements should be taken in the same ratio, right?

Basically I think I was right!

Cation on right (clean)
Anion on left (getting exhausted).

I discovered this all by myself and I’m actually really proud of myself for this!

DC6DEF14-5FD9-4B2B-949A-1EAA85530351.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back