Please share your Ritteri Anemone (Heteractis magnifica) experiences

garygb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the detailed response! How long have you had that 14 inch one?
I've had it since November, 2001. It was about 5 inches across when I got it. Back then I had a 29 gallon tank and power compacts (Coralife brand, I recall). I just took this, as they are well opened up under the light. The yellow tips are from 2001, I got the purple based in 2002. Both have split a few a couple of times over the years.

Last edited:

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had it since November, 2001. It was about 5 inches across when I got it. Back then I had a 29 gallon tank and power compacts (Coralife brand, I recall). I just took this, as they are well opened up under the light. The yellow tips are from 2001, I got the purple based in 2002. Both have split a few a couple of times over the years.
Beautiful! What lights and spectrum are you running over these Mags now?

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a mag in my tank almost constantly for the last 16 years - 3 mags in total, including one that came with the tank (I bought used) and didn't survive long. The 2 I've had since are nearly indestructible. My first died in a horrible tank crash of cloudy water that wiped out nearly everything. I think they are easier than BTAs. The only downside is they ship extremely poorly - you probably need cipro or other antibiotics on hand and a quarantine tank, even if you aren't trying to mail them.

As for conditions, they do better being fed, high light, and medium/high flow. Proper Alkalinity and Calcium do help IMO. High phosphates will hurt or even kill them, but relatively high Nitrate is supposedly fine. My tank is often on the dirty side, but I usually nitrates go to zero for me. In poor conditions, they may wander and shrink slowly but won't die, and in good conditions they will grow, get better coloration and shape .

GrandmaReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had mine for over four years. Settled on the back wall, near the top. Never moved. Hosted clowns and porcelain crabs, and was just the easiest anemone I’ve ever kept.

This is 3’ tank - and he often stretched outabout 1/3 of the tank. Ate krill with fervor and sheltered a tang underneath for a while. Flow and light = happy Ritteri.

I lost him after a 14 hour power outage earlier this year. :-(
IMG_7475.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7585.jpeg
    IMG_7585.jpeg
    260.5 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

Shoulder Deep in Saltwater.......Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The think about Magnifica is that they like high flow and high light, in the upper SPS range. They should do well in your tank if you put a lot of light for them. They light to stay of a relatively flat piece of rock facing mostly up. That is why the column color is importable since you will see the column a lot.
I like to keep them on a tower, at the top. They should not be able to touch the side of the tank, or an easy way to go to higher rock structure, or else they will. It is unlikely that we can provide them with ALL the light that they want so they will always go up in search of more light and current. On top of the tower they cannot and will just stay there.
You should get ready to treat new Magnifica if need when you first get them. Newly imported Magnifica almost always require treatment. Look at my anemone treatment thread on how to treat them.
Best of luck.
I checked out the treatment thread but I am struggling to find cipro anywhere without a prescription. Is there a source that you could provide?

steveweast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cipro has become a controlled antibiotic with a prescription needed. However, there are some outfits that are still working through their stock that they had before the change in the law that can be purchased without a prescription. Try thefishaid.com. They still had some the last time I checked for both 250mg and 500mg pills. It runs about $2 per pill.

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cipro has become a controlled antibiotic with a prescription needed. However, there are some outfits that are still working through their stock that they had before the change in the law that can be purchased without a prescription. Try thefishaid.com. They still had some the last time I checked for both 250mg and 500mg pills. It runs about $2 per pill.
Thanks, I was able to order it. We will see if it actually ships.
Try this site
I tried Allivet. Although it was a great price, they required a prescription at checkout.

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemome Just arrived. Against my better judgement I ended up going through Live Aquaria shipped out of their CA center. I got ahold of AquaticCollection but at the time they didn't have any and I was told they have been scarce recently for one reason or another. Of course as soon as I ordered one from LA, Karson texted and said they have some. I may go take a look just to see what's there anyway.

Either way, I have my Hospital tank set up and Cipro on hand after the drip acclimation, I'll get it in the tank and observe until tonight.

Here is a pic ~ 1 hour after unboxing and in acclimation.
IMG_1528.jpeg

krak256

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemome Just arrived. Against my better judgement I ended up going through Live Aquaria shipped out of their CA center. I got ahold of AquaticCollection but at the time they didn't have any and I was told they have been scarce recently for one reason or another. Of course as soon as I ordered one from LA, Karson texted and said they have some. I may go take a look just to see what's there anyway.

Either way, I have my Hospital tank set up and Cipro on hand after the drip acclimation, I'll get it in the tank and observe until tonight.

IMG_1528.jpeg
best of luck. please continue to post pics

garygb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_1528.jpeg

garygb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fingers crossed for you and the magnifica. It doesn't look great, probably a good thing you have Cipro at the ready.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not look too healthy, but should be a beautiful Magnifica if you get it to survive. It is far from un survivable, but you got your work cut out for you. Good luck.

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@OrionN . After about 1/2 hour in the tank, it did start looking a little better.

IMG_1530.jpeg

Without meds and lights on, 6 hours later it's looking like there may not be any issues. With that being said, do I still run 7 days of Cipro just to be safe or should I observe for a few weeks and see what happens?

IMG_1533.jpeg

Last edited:

krak256

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking much better. I defer to Orion, et al. as far as whether to use Cipro, as that wasn't even an option back in the day when I got mine.
I would keep in QT for 1 week at minimum to observe. If it starts to look worse, mouth gaping or deflates, start cipro.

Welcome other people’s thoughts.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be mindful that inflation/deflation cycles are common. Anemone may look just fine in the morning and then deflate and look terrible in the afternoon. These cycles get worse until the animal dies. Once you begin treatment, do the.full 7 days regardless.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 72 44.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.7%
Back