Please share your secrets to beautiful sandbeds!!!

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
So some of you amazing reefers post pics and your sandbeds are clean and white and beautiful. (Meanwhile, mine is full of broken dead coral pieces, old snail shells, rubble, discarded shells from hermit crabs etc. lol On top of that I have some brown patches where the flow is low!) Curious- what are your secrets to a crisp clean sand bed?! Share please!

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course occasional vacuuming of the the sandbed and general housekeeping help, but don't necessarily trust every picture you see. We all have imperfections in our tanks that the camera doesn't capture. Show us yours. As far as the brown patches go, a picture might help, as well as changing up your flow some. I wouldn't go too crazy with the flow though if your corals seem to be happy.

BeachBumm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use Vibrant for Reef or Vibrant for Saltwater if you only have fish with live rock and I guarantee if you dose according to the instructions , your sand bed will STAY clean! At least it has for me. I have a 75 gal. reef . Something you might could try .

OP
OP
L

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course occasional vacuuming of the the sandbed and general housekeeping help, but don't necessarily trust every picture you see. We all have imperfections in our tanks that the camera doesn't capture. Show us yours. As far as the brown patches go, a picture might help, as well as changing up your flow some. I wouldn't go too crazy with the flow though if your corals seem to be happy.

It’s more a general question. :) I know I could clean up my “mess” and redirect my flow but my corals are all happy right now. I recently added a fighting conch too but was just seeing if there was a “recipe “ for a crisp looking sand bed.

OP
OP
L

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use Vibrant for Reef or Vibrant for Saltwater if you only have fish with live rock and I guarantee if you dose according to the instructions , your sand bed will STAY clean! At least it has for me. I have a 75 gal. reef . Something you might could try .
Thanks, I did use vibrant to get rid of some gha and it worked amazingly well. I could keep it going but more was just interested in what others do. Like how do people have no bits of live rock or invert shells or coral pieces in the sand?! Lol. Photoshop/editing may be a factor.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some just look nice since they siphon or stir it and do a water change and then take a photo. Doesn't mean it's always perfect!

^^^^^^^ this.

It is natural to want to share pics of your tank when it is optimal and cleaned. If you then saw their tank 3 weeks later when they are super busy with life you would be like ooooh

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sand is perfect, but get the flow right and have any type of sand sifting goby and other sand sifters like fighting conchs,nassarius snail, sand sifting starfish,walking dendro(coral) , a few wrasse that sleep in the sand will help. I never vacuum my sand bed and its pretty good. I do have some slight/normal green film algae just to show my nitrates/phosphates arent too low either. I have current USA pro lights which aren't greatest which may help.

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just pulled mine and rinsed it. LOL Got lots of crap outta there.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
diamond goby
Yes. I had one. Best sand cleaner in the world, but there is a CATCH.

He will turn the sand bed over and over and sift out any nutrients from it. Sparkling white sand is all you will have.

Problems is after while he will run out of food in the sand bed, or simply get bored and will dig/sift like crazy. Making piles of sand dunes. Will dig holes/cave under rock and maybe rocks will shift.

And the worse part (why I removed him) was he started filling his mouth. Rising high and dumping sand on my rocks, and corals. Worst was the cup shaped corals.

Total destruction, but nice clean sand EVERYWHERE.

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I had one. Best sand cleaner in the world, but there is a CATCH.

He will turn the sand bed over and over and sift out any nutrients from it. Sparkling white sand is all you will have.

Problems is after while he will run out of food in the sand bed, or simply get bored and will dig/sift like crazy. Making piles of sand dunes. Will dig holes/cave under rock and maybe rocks will shift.

And the worse part (why I removed him) was he started filling his mouth. Rising high and dumping sand on my rocks, and corals. Worst was the cup shaped corals.

Total destruction, but nice clean sand EVERYWHERE.
I have not run into that problem. but I do feed mine 2 times day. I will drop large sinking shrimp pellets maybe 2 at a time to make sure he is well fed. I put empty snail shells and some small rocks he likes to play with and rearrange. I will nock down his rocks so he stays occupied with rearranging them every so often like maybe once a month.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back