PLEASE STOP USING TTM-IT'S BARBARIC

Lauren11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question about TTM - I have ich in my display tank. If I’m doing TTM with all of my fish ... what do I need to do to my display tank (reef tank) to make it free of the ich? Presumably doing TTM and putting fish back in DT would just start the problem over again. Thanks for any help.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Question about TTM - I have ich in my display tank. If I’m doing TTM with all of my fish ... what do I need to do to my display tank (reef tank) to make it free of the ich? Presumably doing TTM and putting fish back in DT would just start the problem over again. Thanks for any help.
No fish in the display tank for at least 45 days. ( I believe it's changed from 76 days to 45 days now)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. Do your fish have disease?
2. if you use TTM - as others have said - you need to leave the tank 'fallow' without fish for 45 days (at 81 degrees) - if the other life in the tank can tolerate it. Otherwise - the usual recommendation is 76 days
3. Do you have corals, etc?
4. There is also hypo salinity which can be used to shorten the fallow period. And if the fish have 'disease' - you can also do TTM with hypo salinity.

Assuming for some reason you do not want to use medication (copper, etc)

OP
OP
NYAquatic

NYAquatic

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
If you're taking the fish out and leaving the tank fallow, you'll need a QT tank to house your fish.
Just treat them in the QT with copper
Much quicker, easier, and less stressful than TTM

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw the title and had to laugh. Subject the fish to poison (copper) or move the fish a hand full of times to pristine water? Barbaric, lol.

Anyway, keeping it relevant to the question, all fish need to come out of the tank for at least 45 days. I would go a little longer. Ich dies out, and in the mean time treat your fish with the method of your choice. Going to have to set up another tank. This is why quarantine is so important.

Lauren11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Do your fish have disease?
2. if you use TTM - as others have said - you need to leave the tank 'fallow' without fish for 45 days (at 81 degrees) - if the other life in the tank can tolerate it. Otherwise - the usual recommendation is 76 days
3. Do you have corals, etc?
4. There is also hypo salinity which can be used to shorten the fallow period. And if the fish have 'disease' - you can also do TTM with hypo salinity.

Assuming for some reason you do not want to use medication (copper, etc)
A few fish have ich. They’re new and I didn’t QT (dumb, I know). Thank you for the reply. I think I’m going to try one of these eventually. I don’t wanna use copper. Right now I’m using Kick Ich & I’ve made a special food w the PE mysis, focus, metroplex, garlic guard, selcon and PE calanus. The spots are rapidly clearing. Fingers crossed ... I’m getting a new (bigger) tank in a few months so I want to do the fallow then.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A few fish have ich. They’re new and I didn’t QT (dumb, I know). Thank you for the reply. I think I’m going to try one of these eventually. I don’t wanna use copper. Right now I’m using Kick Ich & I’ve made a special food w the PE mysis, focus, metroplex, garlic guard, selcon and PE calanus. The spots are rapidly clearing. Fingers crossed ... I’m getting a new (bigger) tank in a few months so I want to do the fallow then.
The spots will clear as they fall off - which does not mean ich is gone. Good luck with your methods!!

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hilarious that this was posted by someone who is in the business of moving fish around and importing them from people who capture them and move them around. There is no moral high ground here.

I just finished my first attempt at tank transfers and it was probably the least stressful thing I've ever done in the hobby. I would scoop the fish at night and move it to the new tank. It'd go back to sleep. Next morning out and about as usual in the little tank. Didn't even need a net and now the fish doesn't even really fear my hands in the tank at all because it knows being transferred is nothin. I don't see how this is any more barbaric than traditional (essentially just poisoning the fish) methods. And no fish will mysteriously die or suffer internally from being transferred as they can with copper. Combined with the peroxide baths and it treats more than just copper would anyways.

DarthChaos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saved fish from Brooke.

Kept losing fish to CP treatments...and went back to TTM - haven't lost a fish yet.

It's extremely effective and safe, if done right. Sorry to hear, didn't work so well for you. As pointed out though.....I think it's well less stressful on a fish than shoving chemicals down their throats.

I've literally had 100% success rate with it so far. PraziPro - CP - nothing has given me that high of a success rate so far.

TTM 4 life!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back