OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry... I have to ask... If you don't know the specific parameters, how can you say they are fine?

I sense panic in your posts. I'd start off by asking you to take a deep breath and step back. No solution is going to fix the issue instantly, so try to get your head in a place where you are prepared to be methodical and patient in your correction of the issue causing the problem.

Right now, there isn't much to go off. I would suggest isolating the fish if it is the ONLY fish in the tank in this condition.

This could be a swim bladder issue secondary to tank mate aggression. Aggression may come from a new tank addition, territorial issues and even overcrowding.

But these are only guesses as the information in the post is limited.

Again, take a deep breath. Take a water sample to the LFS and get it tested. And buy a test kit and make weekly testing part of your husbandry routine.
Yes my fist post on this was a bit paniced but I have put the rest of the infomation down since and yeah I think its swim bladder too.

OP
OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know if this has anything to do with it but my female clown has always had swimbladder she was born with it but she is fine and only sinks in the rear end a bit.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is a swim bladder rupture, it can heal. I had a clown go through this and he is happy, healthy and swimming fine today. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/swim-bladder-rupture.733943/

Best bet is to get it in a quarantine by itself Make sure it has a spot that is protected from too much flow. If it has been eating, it will have plenty of fat to get it through a couple days. Mine started eating at about 3 day mark but still was upside down and sinking to bottom.

I would go and get some methylene blue and do a dip. The following info is from @Big G
Methylene Blue

What It Treats
Healing agent which treats ammonia burn, abrasions, cuts. Mild antiparasitic/antibacterial properties. Will possibly detoxify a fish that has been exposed to cyanide poisoning. Probably one of the best “first response” treatments for a sick fish.

How To TreatComes in both liquid and powder form, sometimes mixed in with another medication (e.g. Nitrofuracin Green Powder). So, follow the directions on the label. Generally used in a 30 minute bath at double dose, but you can also dose it directly into a quarantine tank. Aerate heavily.

Dosing instructions for using 2.303% Methylene Blue solution:

1) 30 min bath (preferred): 1 teaspoon (5 ml) per 5 gallons.

2) In a quarantine tank: 1 teaspoon (5 ml) per 10 gallons every other day for 10 days with water changes before each treatment.

ProsHighly effective “first response” treatment with minimal risk to fish.

Cons/Side EffectsMethylene Blue can destroy nitrifying bacteria (i.e. your QT biofilter), and will stain plastic, silicone, clothing, your skin, etc.

More info on Methylene Blue: http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumMedication3.html#methylene_blue

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yep- maroon clown would be suspect’s

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Just read loss- thats a bummer
Keep an eye on those clowns as they can be uninviting
Eventually they’ll try to bite you when hand goes In tank

OP
OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read loss- thats a bummer
Keep an eye on those clowns as they can be uninviting
Eventually they’ll try to bite you when hand goes In tank
My clowns aren't like that its the damsels that are aggressive infact the biggest domino who just died was my females clowns best friend cause they've been in the tank the longest there inseparable.

tvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a pair of clowns nipping the heck out of a strawberry basslett. At petco. Strawberry's have mean reputation. Clown appear so passive. Anyhow sorry for your loss.

Last edited:

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is a swim bladder rupture, it can heal. I had a clown go through this and he is happy, healthy and swimming fine today. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/swim-bladder-rupture.733943/

Best bet is to get it in a quarantine by itself Make sure it has a spot that is protected from too much flow. If it has been eating, it will have plenty of fat to get it through a couple days. Mine started eating at about 3 day mark but still was upside down and sinking to bottom.

I would go and get some methylene blue and do a dip. The following info is from @Big G
Methylene Blue

What It Treats
Healing agent which treats ammonia burn, abrasions, cuts. Mild antiparasitic/antibacterial properties. Will possibly detoxify a fish that has been exposed to cyanide poisoning. Probably one of the best “first response” treatments for a sick fish.

How To TreatComes in both liquid and powder form, sometimes mixed in with another medication (e.g. Nitrofuracin Green Powder). So, follow the directions on the label. Generally used in a 30 minute bath at double dose, but you can also dose it directly into a quarantine tank. Aerate heavily.

Dosing instructions for using 2.303% Methylene Blue solution:

1) 30 min bath (preferred): 1 teaspoon (5 ml) per 5 gallons.

2) In a quarantine tank: 1 teaspoon (5 ml) per 10 gallons every other day for 10 days with water changes before each treatment.

ProsHighly effective “first response” treatment with minimal risk to fish.

Cons/Side EffectsMethylene Blue can destroy nitrifying bacteria (i.e. your QT biofilter), and will stain plastic, silicone, clothing, your skin, etc.

More info on Methylene Blue: http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumMedication3.html#methylene_blue
This was a great response! Exactly what should happen to treat the swim bladder issue. Can also help with other things as well to get your fish back to full health. QT is highly recommended for this treatment. I'm sorry to hear about the fish... sucks :(

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would caution adding medication until you can properly identify the disease. sometimes fish get like that if there is heavy metal in the body

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 129 75.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back