Plumbing 120g for the first time

stevediaz1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m plumbing my reef tank I currently have a 1 1/2 inch drain line and my returns are 1 inch pipes but at the point where the loc line comes out it’s half inch that’s as far as loc line will go any advice whether I should make the drain and return smaller or larger my guess is go as big as I can and put ball valves also does any body know what the turn over for this size aquarium should be I plan on using a ecotech L2 for my return I could never get my head around the correct turn over for a sump and a reef aquarium any advice would be appreciated thanks

scrappy35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 120 has 2-1” drains and 2-3/4 returns into my 40b sump. I have a build thread on it. I am debating changing my secondary drain ( I run bean animal) to a 3/4 with a reducer in the overflow box for more adjustability. 1” drain will flow a lot.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
600 gph is plenty through the sump, I agree. Flow in the display is about powerheads/wavemakers.

On the Loc-Line, it greatly reduces flow. You don't have to use it at all, although people like to use it to direct flow.

Sounds like you have one drain that is just an open gravity type drain? I would just pump as much through it as possible without making it loud.

OP
OP
stevediaz1

stevediaz1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
600 gph is plenty through the sump, I agree. Flow in the display is about powerheads/wavemakers.

On the Loc-Line, it greatly reduces flow. You don't have to use it at all, although people like to use it to direct flow.

Sounds like you have one drain that is just an open gravity type drain? I would just pump as much through it as possible without making it loud.
this aquarium was gifted to me it’s 120 gallons where is inside the aquarium it’s drilled with only two holes one drain and one return i’m thinking of using the two drilled holes as drains one as the primary and the other as a emergency and returns would come out from the back over the top to the lock line return into the tank I’m just thinking all those measurements for my plumbing which I prefer to be as large as possible and then return at the lock line is only half inch should I make that bigger if there is a better way let me know or should I just leave it alone

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Herbie (siphon + emergency drain) is something I'm a big fan of. Sounds like a good plan to me.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check my build thread.
I have a 120 with 40 breeder sump with no baffles.
11/4" drain in overflow into 1".
1/2" return.
Around 200gph through sump.
Ball valve on return only.
20211231_145351.jpg

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sounds like you have one drain that is just an open gravity type drain? I would just pump

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a dc pump 400 on the low 800 on the high pick what flow you like for your sump. Slow is some times better. And other times fast is better . I have a 125 with 30 gallon sump running about 750 gph.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back