Plumbing 2 returns into Reef Mat 500

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I had upgraded to a IM 50 INT at the start of the year.
It has 3 drains for a Bean Animal drain, but since I had the filter roller I did not want to use the middle drain and I ended up just plugging that, and using the main drain with a gate valve that’s plumbed into my reef mat 500. The emergency drain I just have going into the sump. I kind of regret this since the water with detritus is bypassing all of the other filtration and going into the sump.

When I reset up my tank. Should I use the secondary drain and attach it to the other side of the filter roller? Or should I just plumb the emergency into the filter roller. I’m fine just using the drains I have (basically a Herbie drain).
I just prefer not to use 3 drains especially if 2 are going into the roller mat since it take up a lot of space.

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So is this a thing? Where people are plumbing the e drain to the opposing Reefmat drain connector?

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure for the reefmat 500, but with the 1200 a 1" union works

OP
OP
Cantusaurus

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is this a thing? Where people are plumbing the e drain to the opposing Reefmat drain connector?
I guess so. I think that is what I am going to do. The issue is just placement of the Reefmat and what direction it will need to be in. Also I need to plan how I am going to do the pipework.

jepuskar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my overflow plumbed into both inlets on the RM1200. Dealing with all sort of air/bubbling noises atm...it's a known thing apparently and I'm working through them to find out works for me..but atm, it is loud.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back