Plumbing a Panworld external pump

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I’m trying to plan out a pumping system that can move water from my basement to my tank on the main floor, and the Pan World 100PX or 150PS are the ones I’m looking at.

The design seems simple, but I can’t figure out how to manage the pressure and flow. My basic thought is to connect the pump to a Brute and then connect the hose to the output of the pump. I would turn the pump on / off using a remote outlet like a Kasa Smart Plug. I‘d like to put a valve someplace on the outlet side — ideally by the end of the hose — so I can manage flow rate and turn it off. But what I don’t understand is how external pumps react to pressure buildup on the output.

So basically, I think my question is how do I control flow coming out of an AC external pump?

Thanks in advance!

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can control flow with a gate valve on the output. The pressure will be whatever it is with total backpressure (head loss, valve, piping, etc). Just make sure the pump head is rated for height from basement to tank with a 20-50% more to compensate for piping and valves and build up of gunk (you don't want to clean all the time).

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh one more recommendation - put a valve on the output close to pump as well as local to tank for flow. The flow control should be gate valve and the pump isolation can be normal globe valve. You'll want it when you do maintenance..draining 20 ft of hose onto your floor to clean a pump isn't fun. Or if you spring a leak in a hose or clamp.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here is a very handy calculator for measuring head pressure so you choose the correct pump:

Careful though: We often quote flow in GPH, while this calculator uses GPM. First time I used it, it said I needed something like this which was a bit out of my budget at the time. I still want one though.

1582121851184.png

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here is a very handy calculator for measuring head pressure so you choose the correct pump:

Careful though: We often quote flow in GPH, while this calculator uses GPM. First time I used it, it said I needed something like this which was a bit out of my budget at the time. I still want one though.

1582121851184.png
So what....high flow SPS? :)

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what....high flow SPS? :)
Yeah. My MP40s aren't cutting it anymore.
A little worried it won't fit down the basement stairs though, so taking my time. A bigger tape measure on its way from Amazon.

Hey @mike550 , don't mind our chatter. We are just bumping the thread for you until more responsible adults can contribute their thoughts.

A couple questions though:
a) This is just for WCs correct? Or is the Brute a sump that flows continuous?
b) If just WC, are you running 1 or 2 lines up/down? Can be done either way. I run a single line with ball valves. My return pump empties the tank to a septic line. I reverse the valves and a pond pump pushes water up from basement mixing station.

If I had it to do over again, I would've run 2 lines into a huge basement sump where all my WCs would happen. Live and learn.

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. My MP40s aren't cutting it anymore.
A little worried it won't fit down the basement stairs though, so taking my time. A bigger tape measure on its way from Amazon.

Hey @mike550 , don't mind our chatter. We are just bumping the thread for you until more responsible adults can contribute their thoughts.

A couple questions though:
a) This is just for WCs correct? Or is the Brute a sump that flows continuous?
b) If just WC, are you running 1 or 2 lines up/down? Can be done either way. I run a single line with ball valves. My return pump empties the tank to a septic line. I reverse the valves and a pond pump pushes water up from basement mixing station.

If I had it to do over again, I would've run 2 lines into a huge basement sump where all my WCs would happen. Live and learn.
Thanks for your comments and no worries! I enjoy the chatter.

Yes. This is just for water changes and I’ll likely plumb the pump so I can use it for mixing as well. Luckily, there’s a bathroom nearby where I can drain water. But really no good way to bring water up from the basement.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the same thing with less head pressure - from my garage mixing station to the tank. I have a simple plastic ball valve at the end of the hose. I could use it to adjust flow but really it's just an 'on/off' in practical use. Looks like:

1582209424930.png

Available in many sizes.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back