Plumbing a Vectra L2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Nobbygas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just bought a Vectra L2, and I am not impressed.
The Quick Couple Connector is not quick is it? The instructions say, "Installation of the connector requires the correct size plumbing and PVC cement", so just what is the "correct size plumbing"? Why don't the instructions tell me what size pipe I need? In fact, only one size pipe will fit into the Vectra. It is obviously a "quick couple connector" if you just happen to have the same size pipe already installed on your tank. I did not expect to buy a premium product and then have to scout around various stores and online sites in an attempt to find a connector for it. There is another sized adapter available but at 36 Euro is is hugely overpriced, but even that adapter is not a standard size! The smooth collar type connector is pretty crap isn't it for such an expensive product! Why oh why didn't you do what every other pump manufacturer does and have a graduated barb fitting to allow different size pipes to connect very easily?
So, I have an outlet on the L2 which is 40mm (or is it 42mm, I'm not sure? You tell me) which I have to connect to a flexi return pipe of 28mm (internal pipe size).
Not. Impressed. At. All.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Quick Couple Connector is not quick is it? The instructions say, "Installation of the connector requires the correct size plumbing and PVC cement", so just what is the "correct size plumbing"? Why don't the instructions tell me what size pipe I need? In fact, only one size pipe will fit into the Vectra. It is obviously a "quick couple connector" if you just happen to have the same size pipe already installed on your tank. I did not expect to buy a premium product and then have to scout around various stores and online sites in an attempt to find a connector for it. There is another sized adapter available but at 36 Euro is is hugely overpriced, but even that adapter is not a standard size! The smooth collar type connector is pretty crap isn't it for such an expensive product! Why oh why didn't you do what every other pump manufacturer does and have a graduated barb fitting to allow different size pipes to connect very easily?
So, I have an outlet on the L2 which is 40mm (or is it 42mm, I'm not sure? You tell me) which I have to connect to a flexi return pipe of 28mm (internal pipe size).
Not. Impressed. At. All.
Hey @Nobbygas sorry you’re so frustrated. It’s always a pain when you don’t have the parts you need to finish up. But for what it’s worth I went to the Vectra website. Assuming the US specs are the same here it the answer. Input: 1.5 in. (38 mm) Output: 1.25 in (31.75mm)

good luck

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think some pumps come with fittings for every size?

The specs are listed all over the place.

Specifications:

Max Flow - 3100 GPH
Max Head Height - 21.5 Feet
Footprint - 5" L x 8.5" W
Input Fitting* - 1.5" (38mm)
Output Fitting* - 1.25" (31.75mm)

Power Supply - 150W

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not. Impressed. At. All.

I dont know how you are unable to find simple specifications. It says the input and output size on pretty much every retailer's description, as well as in the instruction manual for the item. Or Ecotech's site.

Input Fitting* - 1.5" (38mm)
Output Fitting* - 1.25" (31.75mm)

In my opinion, barbed fittings are a poor alternative to proper hard plumbing. But if you want to go that route, it would just take a few seconds to find a 1.25" to metric barb fitting.

The drama really isn't necessary IMO.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must say I've had all sorts of issues with inches versus mm when buying European equipment so I can understand why the OP may be having some challenges. Surely there are inches to metric adapters? Vectra description is clear if you are going to use the supplied collars but less so if you decide to go native. Native threads on the 2 series is not the same as the older 1 series.

OP
OP
Nobbygas

Nobbygas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the fact it is advertised as "quick coupling" when it plainly is not ! After spending money on a premium product I do not feel it is right that I should then have to spend more money trying to connect it !

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the fact it is advertised as "quick coupling" when it plainly is not ! After spending money on a premium product I do not feel it is right that I should then have to spend more money trying to connect it !

it IS a quick coupling as it is easily and quickly removed from the pump....

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

I'm not sure what you expected with this pump. Sounds like you expected piping to be included.
I'm really not seeing what your issue is.
Any pump you buy including pumps like Abyzz or Red Dragon which are easily more than twice the cost of a Vectra will include a little bit of work installing them.

If you are new to the plumbing side of the hobby, I suggest you contact the vendor and ask for specific pipe sizes relative to the country you are in

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was pretty simple for me 1.25 pvc slip to a 1in thread adapter and threaded in a 1in barb, hose slid right on. On the input it's a 1.5in slip pvc that slid right into the bulkhead I installed. The quick couplers are the blue threaded ends to quickly remove the pump for service and cleaning without having to touch any of your existing plumbing.

15803150849773493409350574216641.jpg

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you buy premium lights( echotech, AI) you spend a premium for a light, but you still need to buy the mounting brackets, hardware, hanging kit depending on your set up, when you buy a pump you cant expect it to come with the plumbing for "your" set up. These pumps can be used in closed loops, as returns, as isolated skimmer feeds, all requiring different plumbing. Some systems are hard plumbed some are soft. Some are a combination. A quick trip to a hardware store and it's easy peasy to get it done.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL .... since this guy's based in Germany, probably not as easy as one might think. All metric there. Going to need something like this.

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread but I've just experienced this frustration and these people just spouting ecotecs specs were incorrect. Don't ask me why but the sizes stated are NOT the size of the pipes needed, if hard plumbing. It's the size of the in and out holes on the pump itself lol! The Inlet takes 50mm pipe to be 'glued' and out is 40mm pipe. Just for anyone else in future hard plumb directly to the quick connect / union fitting.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 57 40.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 28.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back