Plumbing a whole-home UV sterilizer into reef tank

Richard ML

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have gotten my hands on a 480GPH whole-home UV sterilizer that I'd like to use on my upcoming reef tank build. I got it for free, otherwise I wouldn't bother with one. My only concern is that the body of the unit is made of 304 stainless and it'll be exposed to saltwater 24/7. I'd like to run it directly on my return pump outlet, and it'd be near its 480GPH max flow rating. How likely is it that 304 stainless would degrade over time or cause harm to my livestock?

Thanks!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20200625-173151.png

Sorry, no go. It's okay around saltwater environments, but not good submersed in it.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will not work. The steel will rust. Just because it’s SS doesn’t mean it will not rust. Worked as a maintenance man in a food plant with nothing but SS everything. We still had to replace pumps and lines that pumped caustic fluids.

OP
OP
Richard ML

Richard ML

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will not work. The steel will rust. Just because it’s SS doesn’t mean it will not rust. Worked as a maintenance man in a food plant with nothing but SS everything. We still had to replace pumps and lines that pumped caustic fluids.
Good to know. Might look into making a new housing out of PVC then. Thanks!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Yeah, I'd googled it, and I'd read conflicting info that stated in high-flow environments with no direct exposure to air it might be OK. Just thought I'd see if anybody else had experience with something similar here.

316 would fair better, but it's made of 304. Ive worked in the surgical instrument field now for over thirty years.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. Might look into making a new housing out of PVC then. Thanks!

Furniture grade maybe:

OP
OP
Richard ML

Richard ML

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Furniture grade maybe:

Yep yep saw that! Looks like most UV sterilizers for aquariums are made out of PVC so I'll have to hunt around to find the appropriate material.

OP
OP
Richard ML

Richard ML

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be cheaper to just buy one that try to make a new housing. A UV unit is only needed in fish holding systems all the time.
Yeah thanks! I might just keep this thing as a short-term QT tank treatment option. Not sure yet but I appreciate all the answers, everyone!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back