Plumbing Advice Needed: New Custom Tank

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All my past tanks have been pre-plumbed or sumpless, so I am looking for some advice on plumbing the overflow of my new custom Glass Cages tank.

It's setup with a coast to coast overflow with a notched acrylic weir comb, but it's slightly unique in the fact that the tank builder made it so that the dual 1" return lines come through bulkheads in the bottom of the overflow. I'm told that most people cut/notch the weir teeth out where they want the return nozzles to "poke through" the weir teeth.

To be honest, it wasn't quite what I was expecting for the design, but I think I can hard plumb up to the level of the weir teeth a 1" female coupling and then use LocLine from there.

The 3 drain lines are all 1.5" so I am looking at setting up a Bean Animal configuration.

I have a couple questions:
-Does it matter which of the 3 holes is the primary drain? I'm thinking about doing the one the furthest from the sump (left-most 1.5" drain in the picture). The sump will be on an elevated platform off to the right when looking at the back of the tank. But then perhaps the middle should be primary so it equally pulls from the left and right of the coast-to-coast overflow? I don't know.

- I see some people put elbows/mufflers on their drain pipes. Would you recommend either of these?

- How tall of a pipe would you put in the primary drain? Does it matter?

-What level should the secondary overflow pipe be at? The level of the weir?

I don't know what I don't know on this one, so any master overflow plumbers out there want to weigh in and give me some tips before I screw up some expensive schedule 80 fittings?

Thanks

Overflow1.jpg Return Bulkhead 1.jpg Overflow 2.jpg Return Nozzle Plan.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my past tanks have been pre-plumbed or sumpless, so I am looking for some advice on plumbing the overflow of my new custom Glass Cages tank.

It's setup with a coast to coast overflow .

I have a couple questions:
-Does it matter which of the 3 holes is the primary drain?
Does not matter
- I see some people put elbows/mufflers on their drain pipes. Would you recommend either of these?
Down turned elbows to keep the noise down

- How tall of a pipe would you put in the primary drain? Does it matter?

It needs to be lower than the secondary and emergency.
-What level should the secondary overflow pipe be at?
At the level you plan on keeping the weir water level at. You need a trickle of water going down it.

IMG_0812.jpeg

Top - main drain
Middle - secondary drain
Bottom - emergency drain

Last edited:
OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does not matter

Down turned elbows to keep the noise down

It needs to be lower than the secondary and emergency.

At the level you plan on keeping the weir water level at. You need a trickle of water going down it.

Thank you! My current tank (Cade) uses a Herbie style overflow. So I’m trying to replicate that plus have an extra emergency drain that is the tallest of the 3.

I’ll have to order some more elbows for the noise. That’s not something my current tank’s overflow has.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I installed some of the drain and return plumbing into the overflow box.

I’m wondering if I will need a double elbow over the primary drain (since it’s going to be regulated with a gate valve it shouldn’t be sucking air). It’s also a little tight fit with a double 1.5” elbow because of where the bracing is so I may just try it without the elbow and perhaps add an intake strainer of some sort down the road.

I read the primary should be as low as possible to prevent a vortex from the surface, so right now I have no pipe in the bulkhead over the primary drain.

Next step is to get this beast into the house and out of my garage!

Attachments

• IMG_1739.jpeg
    IMG_1739.jpeg
    343.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1740.jpeg
    IMG_1740.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1741.jpeg
    IMG_1741.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1742.jpeg
    IMG_1742.jpeg
    167.1 KB · Views: 9

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed some of the drain and return plumbing into the overflow box.

I’m wondering if I will need a double elbow over the primary drain (since it’s going to be regulated with a gate valve it shouldn’t be sucking air). It’s also a little tight fit with a double 1.5” elbow because of where the bracing is so I may just try it without the elbow and perhaps add an intake strainer of some sort down the road.

I read the primary should be as low as possible to prevent a vortex from the surface, so right now I have no pipe in the bulkhead over the primary drain.

Next step is to get this beast into the house and out of my garage!
Street 90’s will help with space issues..

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 61 43.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.5%
Back