Plumbing Advice, Please

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning my next build but first w/ plumbing to a sump from scratch. I have a lot of time to think about this (tank is floating somewhere on the vast ocean) so I'd like to ask you all experts for advice, suggestions, etc on my initial setup. It's not a complicated setup as I prefer to keep things simple.

Please see image:

uzCzPWN.jpg

Some initial questions.....

- Am i on the right track? Anything obviously wrong?
- Gate valve on the return? I see opinions both ways.
- Advice on return pump size? Is 10x turn over still the norm? I'm planning SPS. (I will have 2 MP10s on either side)
- Slip vs thread?
- Any need for 45 deg elbows vs 90s on the drain?
- 1 return good enough? I like simplicity so if I can get away w/ just 1 return, that is preferred.

Thanks all!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The diagram looks simple enough

PanhandleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- On right track nothing is obviously wrong. May want another union towards the pump on the return.
- No need for gate valve on the return. Some like ball valves on it for maintenance but I find it unnecessary unless trying to cause back pressure for manifolds or dual returns.
- I prefer 4-5x turnover through the sump to increase dwell time and use power heads for flow. Purely individual preference though.
- Slip
- Haven't noticed a benefit of 45s over 90s. In such a basic design just use what's easiest for you.
- 1 return is enough for tank size.

OP
OP
howaboutme

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- On right track nothing is obviously wrong. May want another union towards the pump on the return.
- No need for gate valve on the return. Some like ball valves on it for maintenance but I find it unnecessary unless trying to cause back pressure for manifolds or dual returns.
- I prefer 4-5x turnover through the sump to increase dwell time and use power heads for flow. Purely individual preference though.
- Slip
- Haven't noticed a benefit of 45s over 90s. In such a basic design just use what's easiest for you.
- 1 return is enough for tank size.
Very helpful. Thank you.

OP
OP
howaboutme

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news, no leaks! Off to a good start. Now I'm in need of help to fine tune the Herbie so it is silent (or near silent). Below are some video I took while trying to trouble shoot the issue(s). As you can tell, it is noisy. I believe most, if not all, of the noise is coming from the drain entering the sump. However, I cannot rule out air in the pipes. The sump area is so loud it is muzzling any possible other noises so I'm trying to fix one thing at a time. Anyone w/ a similar Fijicube Advanced Reef sump may be able to offer more guidance.

A few things of note:

- E drain is about 5.5" above main. It was longer but I shortened it as it was getting too close to the top. It has no effect that I see on noise.
- I thought I had originally put the pipes ~1" below the line but it looks like it is more than 1.5".
- I'm using a Simplicity 1000 DC pump (Jebao rebranded, I believe) around 40%. I tried various speeds, doesn't seem to help.
- I hear air purging when pump starts.
- I've tuned the gate valve to get the water to trickle over E drain.
- I put a pad in the basket to see if that helps. It doesn't.
- 1" drains (3/4" returns), all schedule 80.

My own diagnosis:

- I'm thinking that the pipes are too submerged in the sump and it's not allowing the air to fully purge out when the syphon starts.

The first 2 videos are before I shortened the pipe going into the sump.

The following video is after I cut about 1" or so off of the 2 drain pipes. I think it's definitely helped (at least I want to think so). It's still noisy though. It's hard to measure but looks to be between 1/4" to 1/2" below the water level.

Thoughts?

The video above was taken as part of a test to see if water volume in the sump was the issue. I filled it up higher to see if it was the trickling water going into the mechanical filtration chamber. I think it's safe to say it isn't. I believe it is still the drain.

Question is, do I cut more? It's so close so wanted to check in to get some thoughts before I cut more. I do have plenty of pipe in case I cut too much. What else should I look out for? I've been playing w/ the pump speed, gate valve as well as starting from scratch (meaning open gate valve fully then dialing it back), nothing. Anyone w/ a trained ear and can provide some areas to look at or is it clear it's the drain pipe? Thanks!

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tips

on a 28g tank 200-400 gph flow is more then enough for a sump.

Your drain pipes need to be 4 or more inches under water for silence

Use a modified herbie with a tune able airhole, open drains are to noisy

I run a 210g tank with 700gph and its almost dead silent

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back