Plumbing AIO IM NUVO 30L to frag tank

uli-the-nihlist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I am going to be setting up a fluval Evo 13.5 as a frag tank next to my nano IM 30L. I am admittedly out of ideas on how to connect the two systems. I am thinking about attaching a T to the return pump in the 30L sump and to pump water into the frag tank and placing a return pump in the Evo to pump that water back to the 30L.

I assume there must be a better option, but I can't seem to think of one. I'm open to any and all suggestions! Thank you!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the pump has enough head pressure, then I'd say go for it!

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, for systems this small I wouldn't bother. If you do regular water changes, I cant imagine the two systems would have wildly different chemistry. What problem are you attempting to solve for?

I realize this isn't what you asked, but IME anytime you have to rely on a pump to push water one way, and another to push it back you will run into problems. One will always be moving more water than the other, whether that be manufacturing tolerances, differences in piping distance/length/width, difference in head pressure, even just luck with algae, snails and the like. What if a small cerith gets into one of the pumps? You'll have a dry tank and that water on the ground.

The only way I can see this working, and its what some folks elect to do in your situation is to drill and connect the two systems via bulkheads and plumbing. Unfortunately, I think the biggest issue is the small tank sizes, if we were connecting a 40b to a 120 gallon or something like that you'd have a ton of equipment options that could be hacked into working, but with such small systems 90% of the equipment out there is too big or powerful.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back