plumbing an SCA 75 gallon tank with fiji20 cube sump

ReeferRod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I have owned several bio cube all in one (AIO) tanks as well as regular saltwater tanks with hang on the back (HOB) refugium and skimmers. I really enjoyed the hobby, took a bit of a hiatus because I moved to another home and looking at getting back in to the hobby again, this time venturing to a sump setup. This would be the first time I will be operating a sump setup and a bit reluctant of the unknown. I have been researching sump setups for weeks and came across a tank that I really think may work for me. I purchased an SCA 75 gallon tank 36x24x20 with a Fiji 20 cube sump setup. I plan on running live rock, Reef Octopus N150 skimmer, EcoTech pump M2, Finnex 300w heater, two (2) AI prime HD lights. I would also like to hard plumb the setup and add a UV Sterilizer using a manifold with 3 outputs for a Carbon Reactor, GFO reactor and an extra outlet. Again, I have never owned a sump or designed a manifold, this will all be new but I’m looking forward to the venture. I welcome all advice, suggestions, and opinions.

Thank you!

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the site! I'm running that same sump & skimmer combo in my 60g cube, you'll like it! For the skimmer I'd recommend making or buying a raiser type platform so you can get more overall water depth in the sump. The docs for the skimmer should indicate the optimal water depth. My Reef Octopus 150INT SSS is sitting in 8 inches of water after adding the DIY lift kit. For your return pump I'd recommend using a small section of vinyl hose to reduce vibration noise and make it a little easier to maneuver the pump when you're trying to put things in place. Also, I did have to dremel out a small piece of the the plastic "top" on the return section of that sump to be able to fit my return pump in their. Not a big deal, just something I had to account for.

OP
OP
ReeferRod

ReeferRod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running a refugium in the cube? The refugium area seems a bit small, I was thinking of using a 3.8 gallon tank as a refugium externally? I also thought of lifting the skimmer and return pump using media blocks, any thoughts?

B8C00F81-CA27-4CC0-ACE5-57755C82A31A.jpeg

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running a refugium in the cube? The refugium area seems a bit small, I was thinking of using a 3.8 gallon tank as a refugium externally? I also thought of lifting the skimmer and return pump using media blocks, any thoughts?

B8C00F81-CA27-4CC0-ACE5-57755C82A31A.jpeg
Media blocks would work for sure. I initially thought I was going to put some chaeto in the refugium section, but honestly that skimmer does such a good job exporting nutrients that I decided not to. I am planning on trying to use that section as a copepod supply source. I was able to get two of those pod hotels and a smallish piece of LR in there for shelter. Right now I've got a coral QT/frag tank in the basement that is crawling with pods, so I thought maybe I could transport a bunch to that little section.

OP
OP
ReeferRod

ReeferRod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds pretty good, do you run a uv sterilizer? Is your system hard plumbed? I’m curious because I drew a design, which is a bit rough on paper but in my head looking at other people’s designs on Redsea tanks. Not many Fiji sump builds? I appreciate your advice, thank you

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds pretty good, do you run a uv sterilizer? Is your system hard plumbed? I’m curious because I drew a design, which is a bit rough on paper but in my head looking at other people’s designs on Redsea tanks. Not many Fiji sump builds? I appreciate your advice, thank you

I've got one of those "portable" 24W sterilizers, but I haven't tried it yet as I was able to get my algae/water clarity issues resolved with finer filter socks. I'll probably still use it, but since it's a submersible I might have a hard time squeezing it in the sump. It would have to go in the skimmer section, and I didn't really measure things lol.

My system is hard plumbed, standard durso corner overflow. Check out my build thread for pics of the setup - 60g cube. I'm a novice when it comes to plumbing, so there's lots of better examples out there than mine lol. I was just happy nothing leaked on the first attempt! :D

OP
OP
ReeferRod

ReeferRod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read your tank build, nice tank. I looked at that skimmer as well, it got really good reviews but was just concerned for long term use and the motor burning out as well as the space it would occupy in my sump. It’s still a temporary possibility but I’ve priced plumbed UV sterilizers they range from the $150-300 for my 75 gallon tank. I’m trying to stay on a budget, which as you know it’s hard to do in this hobby. There are so many great products, which is why this forum is great to see what others have done.

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read your tank build, nice tank. I looked at that skimmer as well, it got really good reviews but was just concerned for long term use and the motor burning out as well as the space it would occupy in my sump. It’s still a temporary possibility but I’ve priced plumbed UV sterilizers they range from the $150-300 for my 75 gallon tank. I’m trying to stay on a budget, which as you know it’s hard to do in this hobby. There are so many great products, which is why this forum is great to see what others have done.

Thanks! Ain't that the truth regarding budget lol.

OP
OP
ReeferRod

ReeferRod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions on reducing plumbing. The siphon return and emergency returns are 1 inch pvc. Any suggestions on manifold size?

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions on reducing plumbing. The siphon return and emergency returns are 1 inch pvc. Any suggestions on manifold size?

I've got nothin on this one, I'm curious to see what sort of feedback you get as well.

OP
OP
ReeferRod

ReeferRod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, thank you. I would like to get anyone’s opinion on plumbing for UV sterilizer? Do I really need a carbon reactor or gfo reactor if running live rock and refugium. Any suggestions on how to build a proper manifold?

OP
OP
ReeferRod

ReeferRod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help with this design, tell me if it’s good? Any recommendations or changes are welcome. It’s a bit rough, this is the first sump and manifold I have ever designed.
5E791003-3430-43E8-8EB3-E82FB48272B7.png
F93E01F7-88B5-46BB-826F-60649A767CDD.jpeg 04D06DE9-8B02-437D-AABA-1A446D92B2E2.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReeferRod

ReeferRod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the current setup

99CBE448-3196-46E0-A5B0-1D5D69FAF54F.jpeg

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey #reefsquad can we get this Reefer some help with manifolds? The concept drawing looks sound to me, but I've never plumbed a manifold so I'm not real qualified to answer ;)

OP
OP
ReeferRod

ReeferRod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I got a little creative today.

077BA1DC-4853-4DD5-9780-8A4BCB7C123E.png
5DAE9818-11CB-4AC1-8734-0897E7ED1ED9.png

OP
OP
ReeferRod

ReeferRod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I welcome all advice, please.

OP
OP
ReeferRod

ReeferRod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a bit disappointed, I put up this thread to try and get some help from more experienced reefers, who built and designed their own plumbing and manifolds with very minimal responses. Those of you who responded, thank you, I appreciate your feedback and advice.

bfreeskier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey, I'm currently in the same boat, I too am working on my build with a Fiji 20 for my SCA 80 gallon, I have a plan on building a manifold exactly as you had described, thanks for the nice diagram. I'm also installing UV, I just ordered an aqua UV sterilizer. What I was thinking was off the main return line is to do a 45-degree elbow outside of the stand to the back where I can install and access the UV sterilizer since I don't have much room in my stand, and then another 45 back into the stand followed by a tee just before the bulkhead to build out my 1/2 manifold for carbon and GFO if I need it.

Below is an awful drawing of what I'm trying to accomplish.

OP
OP
ReeferRod

ReeferRod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basic diagram

DCDF8B22-B6AA-443D-ABCF-9DC169741FD3.jpeg 1D7A645E-E339-4AD2-9585-AE54C8E59574.jpeg 8EAAC828-1CC7-4BBB-AE92-3557BB163C51.jpeg
my first rough drawing was like yours, lol. Then I got a hold of my iPad and really started tinkering with this design app, I guess I had too much time on my hands that day... goodluck, I hope my drawings can help you figure out your design.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back