Plumbing bulkheads drilled on bottom of tank

grant k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone give me advice on how to plumb a tank, the 1.5” bulkheads are drilled on the bottom of the tank. Obviously if return pump fails/power outage, etc. Tank would drain completely. This tank was in operation for 20+ years before it was given to me. I saw the original plumbing but it didn’t seem to make sense so hoping someone can give me a clear game plan. I want to plumb it keeping the bulkheads in bottom, I believe it will give the tank great turnover and make it hard for detritus to accumulate (will b bare bottom). I know the lines have to go above the waterline to break the siphon but that’s all I know. Please give as much detail as possible

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone give me advice on how to plumb a tank, the 1.5” bulkheads are drilled on the bottom of the tank. Obviously if return pump fails/power outage, etc. Tank would drain completely. This tank was in operation for 20+ years before it was given to me. I saw the original plumbing but it didn’t seem to make sense so hoping someone can give me a clear game plan. I want to plumb it keeping the bulkheads in bottom, I believe it will give the tank great turnover and make it hard for detritus to accumulate (will b bare bottom). I know the lines have to go above the waterline to break the siphon but that’s all I know. Please give as much detail as possible

Can you post some photos? That will help get you advice based on what we can see and not just arbitrary advice that may not apply to your tank/stand/plumbing.

Is there an overflow box at all? How many bulkheads? Location of bulkheads?

Conchman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like on my SCA, all were drilled bottom in the overflow, main, return and a single backup. it will only drain until the weir teeth on the overflow, then the lowest main drain. Just and plan for any siphon thru the tank returns, those are easy to correct for.

OP
OP
G

grant k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post some photos? That will help get you advice based on what we can see and not just arbitrary advice that may not apply to your tank/stand/plumbing.

Is there an overflow box at all? How many bulkheads? Location of bulkheads?

Attachments

• CFD4FDFE-7498-4B22-90FA-DA019D7E643A.jpeg
    CFD4FDFE-7498-4B22-90FA-DA019D7E643A.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 51
OP
OP
G

grant k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a 180g w 3-1.5” holes drilled on the bottom. 2 overflow boxes on each corner

Blazinlawn2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen this setup for a closed loop plumbing, not going to a sump. This makes it so you can do inline heater, uv light and directly flow back into tank without having wave makers for flow.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back