Plumbing Conversion Question

tylr9m482

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
HI All,

For anyone who has converted their waterbox from metric to standard plumbing, how did you do it!

I have a 220.6 up and running and want to change my plumbing to better install my UV sterilizer. My main goal is to switch out all the waterbox plumbing from the union down into the sump but I want to try and save the gate valve if possible, to save myself an extra $50 or so.

I found a few options to just switch out at the union with a metric to standard union option but am having trouble finding the sizes I need online (Everyone's sold out!) 32DN to 1 1/4". and 25 DN to 1"
Also on this note, I noticed adaptive reef sizes these from 25DN to 1" but Coral Vue sizes 25DN to 3/4" . Anyone have comments on this? Not sure it really matters but the coral vue pieces are a faction of the cost of adaptive reef. (again both have sold out pieces)

I saw others have cut below the waterbox union and installed a metric to standard coupling. Not sure this will work for me as there are elbows and such pushed right up the to the edge of mine so I don't think any pipe is able to be saved to attache the coupling.

Also I want to save the gate valve on the main drain line but again an elbow pushed right up into it. So no clean pipe to cut and adapt adapt. - Has anyone used a heat gun to melt the glue and remove in this situation?

Anyone with experience please let me know what you did and what worked for you! Thanks everyone in advance!

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't help with sizes but there are videos on YouTube on how to remove glued pipe in fittings & valves.

OP
OP
tylr9m482

tylr9m482

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's some pictures of exactly what I'm working with.

If I go with unions that convert to standard then I will need to take the gate valve apart. As you can see there's an elbow pressed right up to it. I've seen videos of Eat Sleep Reef on youtube taking the pipe out of the union but only where there was some spare pipe sticking out. He used pliers to grab and twist the pipe out after heating with a heat gun. Not sure if that same method will work with the elbow?

If I used couplers after the union to get to standard, I'd need to get the manifold off the return line. Same issue as above though, in this case it's pressed right up to the union I'd be trying to save.

Looking for the path of least resistance here, I think that's the unions and if I need to I can buy a new gate valve but has anyone else converted a 220.6? What did you do? Very nervous about ruining the plumping to a $4000 tank, especially since WB doesn't sell replacement plumbing parts.

Attachments

• Gate Valve.jpg
    Gate Valve.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 187
  • Return Line.jpg
    Return Line.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 183

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some pictures of exactly what I'm working with.

If I go with unions that convert to standard then I will need to take the gate valve apart. As you can see there's an elbow pressed right up to it. I've seen videos of Eat Sleep Reef on youtube taking the pipe out of the union but only where there was some spare pipe sticking out. He used pliers to grab and twist the pipe out after heating with a heat gun. Not sure if that same method will work with the elbow?

If I used couplers after the union to get to standard, I'd need to get the manifold off the return line. Same issue as above though, in this case it's pressed right up to the union I'd be trying to save.

Looking for the path of least resistance here, I think that's the unions and if I need to I can buy a new gate valve but has anyone else converted a 220.6? What did you do? Very nervous about ruining the plumping to a $4000 tank, especially since WB doesn't sell replacement plumbing parts.
You can try replacing the bulkheads. I would buy the next size up and down to see which fits best.

OP
OP
tylr9m482

tylr9m482

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can try replacing the bulkheads. I would buy the next size up and down to see which fits best.
Yes, that is part of option #1. And what I'd like to do. Only issue is I am not finding them in stock online. And there's also a huge disparity between coral vue bulkheads and adaptive reef bulk heads. CV is a fraction of the cost but also they seem to size down, 3/4" instead of 1" and 1" instead of 1-1/4". trying to figure out if the sizing really matters. I would like to keep the size larger but the price is literally like 4-5 times more.

https://www.coralvue.com/metric-to-standard-union-coupling

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/metric-to-standard-pvc-union-slip-x-slip-adaptive-reef.html

Also found these, maybe I can keep the bulk heads and just replace this piece?

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/replacement-ball-valve-slip-connectors-cepex.html

This all still leaves the second issue of freeing up that gate valve from the elbow though.

OP
OP
tylr9m482

tylr9m482

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So slight correction looks like the ones on BRS are actually the same size conversion as Coral Vue, but on Saltwater Aquarium the some listing for adaptive reef shows the larger conversions. -- What's the difference? Would the 3/4" return line and 1" drain pipes be suitable for my size tank? 220.6 WB Reef. - I guess at the end of the day that part doesn't really matter?

https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/1-us-to-euro-union-dn25-metric-to-standard-pvc-adaptive-reef/
I think a one inch drain will be just enough for that size. Two 3/4 returns would be ideal. I know they sell a adapter from metric to standard but I’m not sure where to find it. I always advise to swap the bulkheads to the closest standard size you can fit, the bigger the better, to leave the least amount of gap between glass and bulkhead, to prevent leaks around the gasket.

OP
OP
tylr9m482

tylr9m482

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@NowGlazeIT

This tank doesn't use bulk heads. Waterbox uses pre glued plumbing delivered with the tank. They use unions to connect the plumbing through the glass. This is why I am looking at metric to standard unions in those links.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NowGlazeIT

This tank doesn't use bulk heads. Waterbox uses pre glued plumbing delivered with the tank. They use unions to connect the plumbing through the glass. This is why I am looking at metric to standard unions in those links.
Oh wow, Is it possible to cut the plumbing out to get to the holes?

OP
OP
tylr9m482

tylr9m482

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@NowGlazeIT like I said, they use unions, I appreciate the help but you seem to be missing what i'm trying to do here.

If anyone else who owns a waterbox and has actually done this before could chime in, would be much appreciated.

Buddha51

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NowGlazeIT like I said, they use unions, I appreciate the help but you seem to be missing what i'm trying to do here.

If anyone else who owns a waterbox and has actually done this before could chime in, would be much appreciated.
I saw from a previous post. Check this out

Attachments

• C5AD3CBC-5295-4503-9CB1-1E3AD41B071C.jpeg
    C5AD3CBC-5295-4503-9CB1-1E3AD41B071C.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 162

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 40 57.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back