Plumbing help advice fix what ever cant get the tank to function! HELP

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO i have a 75 gallon tank, the original order of the tank built a overflow box inside the tank in the middle
he drilled 3 holes in the glass into the overblow box ALL 3 holes are Drilled THE SAME height ( believe he tried doing a bean animal setup)
when i got the tank i didn't really know anything about plumbing except connect pvc pipes to the bulkheads in turn the return pump on well its loud as all hell
so i did some research about bean animal setups
problem is the flow box he made isnt Deep enough to add elbows in that'll work properly...
so i took 3 x 1 inch elbows put 1 on the emergency line facing upwards
took the second elbow shaved off one of the ends so it fits into the box facing downwards to stimulate a secondary drain or trickle line as they call it?
took a 3rd elbow shaved off a tiny amount to stimulate the ( full Siphon ) line facing down aswell
behind the tank i put 3 Ts on the lines after the bulkheads - The main full siphon line i closed the T with a plug / the second line i put a plug with a small hole drilled into the plug to give air
the 3rd line which is the emergency line i just plugged it shut completely

whats happening now is the full siphon line is pulling so much water down it the tank cant keep up with filling the overflow and creating a gargle sound
if i open the full siphon line up the flow box fills up and the water goes down the emergency line
i put a gate valve on the siphon line and tried to control that but i think i made it worse...
can somone guide me through this i can send texts of pictures videos and such.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats happening now is the full siphon line is pulling so much water down it the tank cant keep up with filling the overflow and creating a gargle sound, so i put a gate valve on the siphon line and tried to control that but i think i made it worse...

So you put a gate valve to reduce the amount of water going down the main drain (full siphon)
This should make it better as you can control the amount of water in the overflow box, and the amount going down secondary (trickle) drain. If the secondary is too low then it will allow too much water to go down it causing the waterfall effect in the overflow box.
if i open the full siphon line up the flow box fills up and the water goes down the emergency line
I dont understand how more water going down the full siphon can cause the emergency to take on water

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO i have a 75 gallon tank, the original order of the tank built a overflow box inside the tank in the middle
he drilled 3 holes in the glass into the overblow box ALL 3 holes are Drilled THE SAME height ( believe he tried doing a bean animal setup)
when i got the tank i didn't really know anything about plumbing except connect pvc pipes to the bulkheads in turn the return pump on well its loud as all hell
so i did some research about bean animal setups
problem is the flow box he made isnt Deep enough to add elbows in that'll work properly...
so i took 3 x 1 inch elbows put 1 on the emergency line facing upwards
took the second elbow shaved off one of the ends so it fits into the box facing downwards to stimulate a secondary drain or trickle line as they call it?
took a 3rd elbow shaved off a tiny amount to stimulate the ( full Siphon ) line facing down aswell
behind the tank i put 3 Ts on the lines after the bulkheads - The main full siphon line i closed the T with a plug / the second line i put a plug with a small hole drilled into the plug to give air
the 3rd line which is the emergency line i just plugged it shut completely

whats happening now is the full siphon line is pulling so much water down it the tank cant keep up with filling the overflow and creating a gargle sound
i put a gate valve on the siphon line and tried to control that but i think i made it worse...

Without current pictures of your setup it is hard to understand exactly what is happening.
The part about the waterlevel going up when you open the gate valve on the full siphon does not make sense to me either.

I wonder if your secondary if getting to much flow. I would probably try turning that elbow up and see if that allows you to adjust the full siphon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without current pictures of your setup it is hard to understand exactly what is happening.
The part about the waterlevel going up when you open the gate valve on the full siphon does not make sense to me either.

I wonder if your secondary if getting to much flow. I would probably try turning that elbow up and see if that allows you to adjust the full siphon.
ill get some pictures tonight and post to get a better understanding

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back