Plumbing Help Please

dubmaneh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Looking to solve a couple of issues with my current setup and need advise on plumbing.

I need to increase turnover through my system and make my drain quieter (Glass-holes overflow box rated for 1500GPH - two 1.5" drains). Pump is a Blueline 30HD in the basement pumping up to the first floor - 13ft in height through 3/4' flexible tubing, a swing check valve and a Vertex Mocean return. I'm currently only getting around 190 GPH at the DT or 2.7x/hour turnover.

Would increasing my return pipe from 3/4" flex to 1.5" flex make an appreciable difference? If so, does increasing my return lines to 1.5" mean I have to increase the intake line to 1.5" (would mean drilling a bigger bulkhead for the sump)? I'm not sure I have access to drill another 1.5" hole in the floor to run the target return line, so would pluming 1.5" pipe for the first 8feet of vertical pipe and then reducing to 3/4" flex tube have any meaningful impact? the pump has 3/4" threaded input and output.

Another option would be changing out the pump for a Jebao DCP-20,000 or similar. I'd like to change the plumbing as a first option and see how the existing pump does but again, I'm limited by space constraints.

Thanks,

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a plumber, but I believe increasing your pipe size will actually LOWER your rate. Sounds like the simple solution is to just get a bigger return pump.
I used to run a 125g with a basement sump and almost 20ft of head on it. Just need a nice sized external pump to do it. 15 years ago, this was about the size of a pool pump. I'm guessing they've shrunk in size and energy consumption since then.

OP
OP
D

dubmaneh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a plumber, but I believe increasing your pipe size will actually LOWER your rate. Sounds like the simple solution is to just get a bigger return pump.
Thats what I thought as well. As I now understand it head height is head hight regardless of pipe size. The larger pipe size gives less resistance resulting in improved flow rates. Kind of like drinking a something through a very thin straw vs a large straw - way less effort with the large straw.

Thing is with the bigger pumps they need larger plumbing anyway. Wondering if I make the attempt on the current pump with new plumbing is actually worth a shot.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what I thought as well. As I now understand it head height is head hight regardless of pipe size. The larger pipe size gives less resistance resulting in improved flow rates. Kind of like drinking a something through a very thin straw vs a large straw - way less effort with the large straw.

Thing is with the bigger pumps they need larger plumbing anyway. Wondering if I make the attempt on the current pump with new plumbing is actually worth a shot.
I think with that amount of head height, the only option to really increase turnover is to go with 1.5" plumbing and a bigger pump. How many GPH are you targeting?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think youre limited by the pump output pipe size and pump curve here. Is the pumps output 3/4 or did you reduce @ the pump?

A 1" outlet and 1" pipe would minimize friction loss.
Possibly need a better pump curve @ that head height.

OP
OP
D

dubmaneh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think youre limited by the pump output pipe size and pump curve here. Is the pumps output 3/4 or did you reduce @ the pump?

A 1" outlet and 1" pipe would minimize friction loss.
Possibly need a better pump curve @ that head height.
I made a mistake on my original post and the pump is a Blueline 40HD. The outlet on the pump is 3/4" so no reduction there.

I think you may be right about the pump curve. Thanks.

rob taft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks to me that your pump is undersized for what you are trying to accomplish. The Blueline 30HD is rated at 590GPH at zero head and zero restrictions. And has a max head height of 16'feet. Below is a calculator that should allow you to experiment with piping sizes etc.

OP
OP
D

dubmaneh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks to me that your pump is undersized for what you are trying to accomplish. The Blueline 30HD is rated at 590GPH at zero head and zero restrictions. And has a max head height of 16'feet. Below is a calculator that should allow you to experiment with piping sizes etc.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. I mis-quoted my pump - its actually a 40HD. When I take into account the fittings, it seems like its performing as per the curve. Think I need to get a bigger pump and bigger plumbing.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back