Plumbing in new tank...return pump?

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I am getting very close to plumbing a Deep Blue 60 into my main system. That tank will be sitting about 6-7' away from my main display. Right now I'm planning for mostly 1" plumbing with 3/4" for the return just because I'm using some leftover pieces I got with the tank.

I am using a Varios8 in sump currently as my return. I am planning to use that to power both tanks, but concerned it won't quite have what it takes. But, also concerned I can't fit another pump in that chamber of the sump to feed just the 60g. So, I guess my plan is to try it and if it can't hack it, consult as yet formed, Plan B. But, based on others' reports of head loss with these pumps I don't have a lot of hope. I don't need a ton of flow in the 60g, I can rely on powerheads for that so...maybe?

I'm also planning to use both bulkheads as a herbie drain and run my return over the rim at the opposite end of the overflow. Ideally I'd be able to use two pumps, one for each tank as tuning both herbie drains might prove to be maddening.

Anyway, just sharing the vision so someone can say "yes it should work" or "dream on"...or somewhere in between. Anyone seeing any glaring problems with my plan so far?

In contrast, would anyone recommend drilling my sump and implementing one external pump to feed both tanks? Either way, any pump recommendations for internal or external use that would accommodate both tanks comfortably?

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I am getting very close to plumbing a Deep Blue 60 into my main system. That tank will be sitting about 6-7' away from my main display. Right now I'm planning for mostly 1" plumbing with 3/4" for the return just because I'm using some leftover pieces I got with the tank.

I am using a Varios8 in sump currently as my return. I am planning to use that to power both tanks, but concerned it won't quite have what it takes. But, also concerned I can't fit another pump in that chamber of the sump to feed just the 60g. So, I guess my plan is to try it and if it can't hack it, consult as yet formed, Plan B. But, based on others' reports of head loss with these pumps I don't have a lot of hope. I don't need a ton of flow in the 60g, I can rely on powerheads for that so...maybe?

I'm also planning to use both bulkheads as a herbie drain and run my return over the rim at the opposite end of the overflow. Ideally I'd be able to use two pumps, one for each tank as tuning both herbie drains might prove to be maddening.

Anyway, just sharing the vision so someone can say "yes it should work" or "dream on"...or somewhere in between. Anyone seeing any glaring problems with my plan so far?

In contrast, would anyone recommend drilling my sump and implementing one external pump to feed both tanks? Either way, any pump recommendations for internal or external use that would accommodate both tanks comfortably?

I have 1 pump for everything with the exception of my skimmer. More pumps = more heat and I want to minimize running my chiller to only emergencies.

Personally, I would do 1" returns from your tank size but that's just me. You can always dial the pump down (I add a gate valve), but if your plumbing is too small, it limits your next pump (assuming you want to change or upgrade to a higher flow pump) without having to replace all the plumbing.

From looking up your pump your outlet from the pump is 1-1/4"?

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1 pump for everything with the exception of my skimmer. More pumps = more heat and I want to minimize running my chiller to only emergencies.

Personally, I would do 1" returns from your tank size but that's just me. You can always dial the pump down (I add a gate valve), but if your plumbing is too small, it limits your next pump (assuming you want to change or upgrade to a higher flow pump) without having to replace all the plumbing.

From looking up your pump your outlet from the pump is 1-1/4"?
Yes, the outlet is 1 1/4" but has already been reduced down to all 1" on my existing 15o. I should clarify I would run 1" for the return on the 60 as far as possible, and only reduce at the end in order to use the existing 3/4" locline I have. Or, I could go all 1" and just buy new locline. lol Just trying to be resourceful.

The pump currently runs wide open on my 15o and flow/drains are tuned withe the gate valve on my main drain. Though I do have a gate on the return line. I plan to have a gate valve on the main drain of the 60 as well as the return line.

My biggest concern is that the Varios 8 is currently running unrestricted on my 150 at the 4th (out of 5) speeds and worried it won't have enough power to properly run both tanks.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back