Plumbing my first sump

2006fuzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I have an Fluval EVO 13.5 AIO and being honest. I'm starting to find my filtration options lacking and limited to the point of breaking. The small filter compartment paired with a small water volume is making my life much harder then it needs to be so I've started looking up ways to increase system volume; coming across the idea of a sump. It's appealing, not only in the fact I was thinking of using a 20 long to nearly triple my system volume, but the amount of room a 20 long has to offer when housing things like skimmers (I can barely fit a heater in my current setup) seems like a good way to go.

I know it seems somewhat pointless to bother plumbing an EVO 13.5 to a 20 long when I could just convert my 20 long, but I've grown rather attached to my matching desktop EVOs (I run the other as a planted betta tank).

My main concerns are as follows; I can't think of a way to plumb the sump that won't result in either the intake or output having to travel the entire horizontal length of a 20 (30 inches) before going up back to the tank. I'm also unsure how to go about using the natural outflow the tank came with as I'd like to keep the filter "housing" in tank for aesthetic purposes. Doing some quick research, the back glass of the filter compartment is drillable but no word on if the bottom is safe to drill, and the tank is rimless on a soft plastic pedestal making it harder even if the bottom was even a possibility.

lloydpancakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I have an Fluval EVO 13.5 AIO and being honest. I'm starting to find my filtration options lacking and limited to the point of breaking. The small filter compartment paired with a small water volume is making my life much harder then it needs to be so I've started looking up ways to increase system volume; coming across the idea of a sump. It's appealing, not only in the fact I was thinking of using a 20 long to nearly triple my system volume, but the amount of room a 20 long has to offer when housing things like skimmers (I can barely fit a heater in my current setup) seems like a good way to go.

I know it seems somewhat pointless to bother plumbing an EVO 13.5 to a 20 long when I could just convert my 20 long, but I've grown rather attached to my matching desktop EVOs (I run the other as a planted betta tank).

My main concerns are as follows; I can't think of a way to plumb the sump that won't result in either the intake or output having to travel the entire horizontal length of a 20 (30 inches) before going up back to the tank. I'm also unsure how to go about using the natural outflow the tank came with as I'd like to keep the filter "housing" in tank for aesthetic purposes. Doing some quick research, the back glass of the filter compartment is drillable but no word on if the bottom is safe to drill, and the tank is rimless on a soft plastic pedestal making it harder even if the bottom was even a possibility.
Following. Thinking about doing the same thing, but can’t find much info.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back