Plumbing Question

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you answer a plumbing question about my new A200 Abyzz pump?

The pump will be in the basement and will pump about 12 feet upstairs to the aquarium, with a 3/4” Loc-Line modular hose for the aquarium nozzle.
The pump will have a 2” PVC inlet pipe.
What would be the most effecient size PVC discharge pipe, taking into consideration of future carbonate encrustation on the inside of the pipe?
Right now I have a 1.5” PVC discharge pipe going all the way up to the 3/4” Loc-Line tank inlet.
Should I reduce the discharge pipe to a 1” PVC pipe all the way up to the 3/4” Loc-Line inlet?
Would the 1” PVC discharge pipe reduce residual pressure on the pump?
I cannot change the tank inlet size. The overflow has three 2” pipes down to the basement sump, I use the Bean Animal over flow method.
http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx

Gene

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are going to lose a lot of flow with that much head but you want as large a pipe as the output of the pump and could even go a size larger. Certainly not smaller. You won't get a lot of growth inside the plumbing (as long as it is not clear) and the water is moving. Output pressure does not hurt a pump at all it is the best method for reducing the pump's output if needed.

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The larger the line the less losses you will get. The only downside I can see to using 1 1/2" vs 1" is the extra volume of water that will drain back to the sump when the return pump is off. If you have the room in the sump for the extra water I would leave it at 1 1/2"

Cheers

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back