Plumbing question

jjwilley718

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to sound like a really odd question, but having trouble deciding what to do. I recently acquired a 150 gallon with some plumbing, which includes overflow plumbing. My problem comes in order to use the most I can I had to get a 1/2” adapters for part after the bulkhead, I’m worried that it might restrict the flow too much and I’ll have to end up redoing it all once I do a wet test. Will it not be as big of a problem as I am thinking? Should I just scrap it all and redo all of the plumbing, bulkhead included? I would have to wait for shipping if I do it that way. Advice is much appreciated.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reduced down from my overflow box on my 150 gallon to 3/4” but I don’t think I’d want to go down to 1/2”. Generally speaking, the better the flow, the cleaner the tank.

417A4DDE-EA61-4834-BFAB-C345BCB968F8.jpeg

Last edited:

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely not do it. It varies based off several variables, but I believe that would give you a gravity flow rating somewhere around 400gph. You are going to want more than that on that large a tank. Even if you get a pump sized appropriately that is not going to give you the flow you likely want.

The other factor in my opinion is 1/2" is much more prone to getting blocked by things like snails. Of course you try to prevent them being able to get into it in the first place, but if that fails it is nice if they dont immediately clog it up completely.

Probably not the answer you wanted and of course just my opinion, but no way I would use a 1/2" pipe on any overflow.... particularly on a larger tank though.

OP
OP
jjwilley718

jjwilley718

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my thought too, but needed to hear it from someone that knew. I mean it’s only like 2”, but that was my concern that it would bottleneck the rest of the plumbing.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back