Plumbing Question

jdloftness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have all my hard plumbing now and will start dry fitting soon. I know everything below the tank should be glued, but wonder about the plumbing in the overflow. Do I glue the drain line, emergency drain line, and return line to the respective bulkhead, but don't glue any other parts in the overflow, or do I glue everything in the overflow?

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it’s necessary unless you plan on blasting at high psi

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not. That only causes problems later.

There is no pressure in the overflow, There is only vacuum. A leak between any fitting in the overflow will just be pulling more water. There's no false air leak that could happen and disrupt the siphon.

OP
OP
jdloftness

jdloftness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Definitely not. That only causes problems later.

There is no pressure in the overflow, There is only vacuum. A leak between any fitting in the overflow will just be pulling more water. There's no false air leak that could happen and disrupt the siphon.
Would you glue the 1 1/2" pipes into the bulkheads, or leave them unglued as well?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used bulkheads that are slip on the top (inside the tank) and threaded on the bottom (below the tank). As others have said, there's no pressure (besides gravity) on the drain lines so you should not need to glue anything. My pipes in the overflow can be pulled out, and the ones underneath unscrewed from the bulkhead for any maintenance, etc.

OP
OP
jdloftness

jdloftness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I used bulkheads that are slip on the top (inside the tank) and threaded on the bottom (below the tank). As others have said, there's no pressure (besides gravity) on the drain lines so you should not need to glue anything. My pipes in the overflow can be pulled out, and the ones underneath unscrewed from the bulkhead for any maintenance, etc.
Thank you for your help.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have all my hard plumbing now and will start dry fitting soon. I know everything below the tank should be glued, but wonder about the plumbing in the overflow. Do I glue the drain line, emergency drain line, and return line to the respective bulkhead, but don't glue any other parts in the overflow, or do I glue everything in the overflow?
I glue everything. Things go wrong when we're Not home

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your help.
Example of why you'd need it. I'm running a bean animal overflow, and controllable pump.. I've bumped my flow up Substantially since setting up the overflow Initially. The siphon needed to be shortened. You couldn't get a pipe cutter in there.

No issue. Drain the overflow into a bucket. Pull the pipe, shortened 3/4", cleaned it because I could and put it all back together.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use threaded top and bottom bulkheads. And make sure they seal very well. I had my drain a little loose and when I turned there return pump off the water in the overflow would slowly drain from the bottom, wich would eventually drain the whole overflow into the sump.

Like others I still like the idea of being able to take it apart if something happens.
But If you don't want to wait for or get threaded bulkheads, I would glue them.

Back