Plumbing Question

ForTheLoveOfCoral21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, planning out my plumbing. i will have the unions and gate values. Drains all PVC.

My question is, as seen in the picture, is there a reason to use flex vs PVC on the return?

This is for the IM 50 EXT so there is one return

Screenshot 2022-08-14 175639.jpg

i2ik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, planning out my plumbing. i will have the unions and gate values. Drains all PVC.

My question is, as seen in the picture, is there a reason to use flex vs PVC on the return?

This is for the IM 50 EXT so there is one return

Screenshot 2022-08-14 175639.jpg
I believe flexible PVC gives you less head lost from your return pump than elbows and 45 degree elbow. Eventless, another mentality of people would rather go with hard PVC all around for an ease of mind with potential leaks.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used all flex tubing on the 125. I'm okay with it but I'll be using PVC on the new build. I will be using flex tubing to PVC on the return of the new build, simply because the pump will have to be removed periodically, and it just seems more convenient when the time comes to remove the return pump.

ScionFRSguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The better choice is obvious but they both work well. I wouldn't think far into it, just make sure everything is secured. You should be fine which ever way you decide to go. You're likely going to upgrade in a few years anyways.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 55 55.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back