Plumbing Questions on new setup

Ugur Dogan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear all
As this is my first setup on reef tank, i want to ask you pro's some questions before making the plumbing correctly.

My tank is 500 litres and sump of 100 litres. I am using animal beans overflow system with an outbox of 3 x 32 mm pipes and a return of 25 mm pipe. I have a red dragon 6 m3 return pump and a Teco Tk-500 chiller waiting for setup. My questions are ;

- Where should i put the ball valves ? I read a lot but for having a silence overflow, do i have to use them right below the overflowbox or just top of sump under. Also vertical or horizontal line?

- I want to make a T connection on the return line for chiller and reactor. WHere should this T to be connected for best? Also i ll use valves on the return. I mean do i have to use the first T pipe right after the pump or the valve? DOes it make any difference?

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am learning all this as well so for mine when I get my new tank, I am going to use a gate valve on the overflow drain. Ball valves are meant for on or off. Gate valves are really adjustable and for adjusting water levels for quiet you need it.

For where I believe it is your preference on where you can reach it. My other advice is use unions right after coming out of the box so you can work on it easy if something breaks or you need to change something.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 16 14.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 48 44.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 38 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back