Plumbing Sump

Diveshaman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to see some plumbing set ups. I have a new sump coming my way and want to dial in some plumbing and would love to see some ideas and share thoughts. First off I plan to remove all existing plumbing on my Red Sea Reefer 300XL and plumb how I had my custom sump made. I wanted to ask on main drain I have seen people remove the Red Sea gate value system and wanted to ask from experience does a gate valve work better than a ball valve in this main drain situation. The next question I have is regarding UV systems. Currently I have plumbed so everything returned to tank goes thru UV system. I was considering separating the Main return pump and adding a 2nd return pump which I can dial into UV and tie back into Main Return before tank. I understand I will not have 100% of return from sump going thru UV if I go this route but wanted to get some ideas from you all there. I feel I will have better control of tank turnover rate not being held to low flows in order for UV to work properly. I like to run my UV 24/7 at approximately 400gph in order to help fight algae. Thanks in advance for your time.

Dystopium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going through the same thought process with regards to UV. Below are the plumbing diagrams I settled on for dual pump, with UV and failover.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20201026_141744386_iOS.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back