Plumbing UV into return pump for disease control ?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking into having a custom tank built (no experience in diy whatsoever so not taking the chance) and they have offered to plumb the UV sterilizer into the return pump.

I want to use the UV mainly for ich control (not elimination) and eventually algae control if need be. I know specific flow rates are required for each of those two needs, so how can I achieve those flow rates if it’s plumbed into the return pump ? I suppose the return pump will be adjusted to suit the flow requirements for the whole system, not for disease control.

How does this work ?

Thanks for your help !

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to vary the UV flow rate you'll probably want to run it off a manifold or on a closed loop with a separate pump.
How does it work with a manifold ? Do you need two pumps as well ?

And if I put it on the return pump, how efficient is it going to be for my need ?

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking into having a custom tank built (no experience in diy whatsoever so not taking the chance) and they have offered to plumb the UV sterilizer into the return pump.

I want to use the UV mainly for ich control (not elimination) and eventually algae control if need be. I know specific flow rates are required for each of those two needs, so how can I achieve those flow rates if it’s plumbed into the return pump ? I suppose the return pump will be adjusted to suit the flow requirements for the whole system, not for disease control.

How does this work ?

Thanks for your help !

How does it work with a manifold ? Do you need two pumps as well ?

And if I leave it on the return pump, how efficient is it going to be ?
What size tank and pump?

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DT is 110 gallons and the sump probably 30 gallons. The pump is an Ecotech M2 Vectra. Nothing bought yet so I could change this.
I wouldn't do it. You spent $400-500 on a pump just to run it on minimum speed. Doesn't make much sense to me. Depending on a UV unit, your flow rate can be as low as 150 gph.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do it. You spent $400-500 on a pump just to run it on minimum speed. Doesn't make much sense to me. Depending on a UV unit, your flow rate can be as low as 150 gph.
How would you set up the UV then ?

What if I run the pump at normal speed for the tank, would the UV have any effect at all on disease or algae ?

Why do people run it on return pumps then ?

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What if I run the pump at normal speed for the tank, would the UV have any effect at all on disease or algae ?

I don't know why people run it on return pumps, it's probably why they have ich in their tanks. Or they have large UV units. That pump is rated for 2000 gph, that's almost 19 times the turnover of DT water. Personally, I think it's too much, but that's just me. If you get a larger uv sterilizer, 40-watt or so, for algae you can run it well over 1000 gph. For protozoa, it would be significantly lower, but you can still get enough flow in the tank. Do you have a specific UV unit in mind?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you click on my build thread you can see an example of how I setup my UV on a closed loop with a separate pump.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Setting the Flow Rate​

Flow rate is everything with a UV because it controls the contact time. The slower the water moves, the more contact time it has with the UV rays meaning the more effective those rays can be at killing things. That said, this also affects how many times per hour you can recycle the entire water volume through your UV per hour which is also important. The balance of these things will ultimately control the rate of sterilization.

A UV sterilizer should be tuned based on the particular goal because the level of sterilization required to kill bacteria and algae is different than what is required to kill common aquatic parasites.

TUNING FLOW FOR BACTERIA & ALGAE​

This would be designed to reduce cloudy water from bacteria blooms, inhibit cyanobacteria, and stop the spread of nuisance algae. The most common rate of flow for reducing bacteria and algae using a UV is 3x - 4.5x total tank volume per hour. For a 50 gallon tank, you should be moving 150 - 225 GPH through the UV sterilizer.

This just so happens to be the very common rate of turnover we run through our sump and return pump which works out for the common application of installation the UV inline using your return. You can choose the UV sterilizer based on these flow rate requirements for your particular tank.

TUNING FLOW FOR FISH PARASITES​

To target and kill Ich, Flukes and other common fish parasites is much more difficult and requires slower flow through the UV sterilizer which increases that contact time. As much as 50-75% less flow compared to killing off bacteria and algae. A turnover rate of 0.5x - 1.5x total tank volume per hour is generally the target. A 50-gallon tank would require 25 - 75 GPH through the UV sterilizer per hour to kill parasite.

In this case, you could increase the wattage of the UV sterilizer to accommodate the flow rate you have running through your sump/return pump or simply run a separate dedicated pump tuned to the slower flow rate.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to this, the 25 watts I was quoted for the system would work.

1694897716197.jpeg

I would run the pump at 1200 GPH routinely for algae/dinos and regular flow and decrease to 400 GPH when I add new fish or even a few hours per day, maybe at night, for ich (I have to check if the pump is programmable that way).

With this setup, I can plumb it into my return pump. That would be practical and cheaper than having two pumps.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to this, the 25 watts I was quoted for the system would work.

I would run the pump at 1200 GPH routinely for algae/dinos and regular flow and decrease to 400 GPH when I add new fish or even a few hours per day, maybe at night, for ich (I have to check if the pump is programmable that way).

With this setup, I can plumb it into my return pump. That would be practical and cheaper than having two pumps.
1,200Gph for a 140-gallon system is an unrealistic goal. You want 3-5x tank volume for your return (this would be almost 10x). You have to factor in head height, etc. I have 650-750Gph on my 200-gallon system for comparison.

I'd also look at the 40-watt model instead.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1,200Gph for a 140-gallon system is an unrealistic goal. You want 3-5x tank volume for your return (this would be almost 10x). You have to factor in head height, etc. I have 650-750Gph on my 200-gallon system for comparison.

I'd also look at the 40-watt model instead.
I am not sure I understand. If I went with the 40 watt model, the pump would have to run at 2900 GPH for algae and 967 GPH for ich.

That a lot more than 1200 GPH for algae/dinos and 400 GPH for the occasional ich. I could run at 800 GPH for algae, that’s the lower end that AquUV recommends.

Is there something I am missing ?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure I understand. If I went with the 40 watt model, the pump would have to run at 2900 GPH for algae and 967 GPH for ich.

That a lot more than 1200 GPH for algae/dinos and 400 GPH for the occasional ich. I could run at 800 GPH for algae, that’s the lower end that AquUV recommends.

Is there something I am missing ?
You can run a lower flow rate.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run a lower flow rate.
I’m not challenging you. I just don’t get it. Can you explain differently ?

Are you saying I could run the 40 watts at a lower rate and still succeed at fighting dinos and algae ? What about ich ?

Or are you saying to keep the 25 watts and run it lower than 1200 ? Like 800 GPH ok for algae, like the manufacturer recommends ?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How does this work ?

Thanks for your help !
You hook the UV into a manifold in your return line. That way you can adjust the UV independently of the return flow.

It's works well configured that way.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You hook the UV into a manifold in your return line. That way you can adjust the UV independently of the return flow.

It's works well configured that way.
That looks interesting. Would you have a link to a video or article about it ?

I’m looking but maybe not using the right key words.

eta : I found this, never mind !

Last edited:

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the longer the water water flows around the UV bulb benefits more than faster flow.
I do believe having its own pump inside the sump will work best.
I have one set up running at 50gal/hour , my main pump is running at 650gal/hour

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back