Plumbing UV into return pump for disease control ?

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in same boat and bought a 25watt unit for my approx 115 gallon. I am going to run two DC return pumps and the one will likely be turned down strictly for slower flow rate across UV bulb. If you are going to use one return I would recommend making manifold you you can turn back flow through UV.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in same boat and bought a 25watt unit for my approx 115 gallon. I am going to run two DC return pumps and the one will likely be turned down strictly for slower flow rate across UV bulb. If you are going to use one return I would recommend making manifold you you can turn back flow through UV.
When you turn down the flow for the UV, does it also decrease it for the tank ?

I suppose you need a stronger pump with that scenario ?

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you turn down the flow for the UV, does it also decrease it for the tank ?

I suppose you need a stronger pump with that scenario ?
If it only has one return yes if you have two then more flow would go to the other one (path of least resistance/pressure)

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So question, if the UV is plumbed in the return in parallel, if you increase or decrease the flow through the UV (via valves), the combined flow that exits the return nozzle shouldn’t vary - is my thinking on this correct?

Example - 1000gph from outlet of pump, 400gph through UV, assume 600gph goes though non UV line, and 1000gph comes back out when they combine again (assuming no losses)?

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished plumbing my tank. It's IM EXT 112. That's approx 36 x 36 x 19.5 112G. I used two Vectra S2's. I was planning on running one at a very low GPH, say 250 max and the other at a higher GPH to get a total of 5X turnover. I have never used a flow meter before. I now have one plumbed in and I am getting 265 GPH through the UV with the S2 at the highest setting. So I decided to run both at 100%. It's interesting, I think that we all think that we're getting way more GPH in reality than what we're actually getting. FYI I also plumbed the tank with minimal elbows and tried reducing head pressure as much as possible. I would get the tank with 2 return pumps. It good for matching the flow rate for your UV and most of all its redundant, if one pump goes down your tank will still be able to run. I actually wanted one S2 and one M2 but I couldn't get them to fit in my sump so I had to return the M for an S.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get the tank with 2 return pumps. It good for matching the flow rate for your UV and most of all its redundant, if one pump goes down your tank will still be able to run.
This was a scenario I looked into but I had to stop somewhere. This build is very expensive, especially with having them do the set-up and transfer for me. We picked the M2 for my tank and I am confident it should do a nice job.

From I understand, the 10x turnover is not meant to come only from the pump. In fact the pump will only provide part of it and the rest will come with the powerheads and such.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From I understand, the 10x turnover is not meant to come only from the pump. In fact the pump will only provide part of it and the rest will come with the powerheads and such.
Yeah most people run 2-3x and 5x max turnover through their sump for proper filtration.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you used a manifold in your return line, something like this, you could plumb your UV off of it , control the flow through the uv with the valve and have it output to the tank independently of the returns. That would do what you want. With the unions you can clock it however you need it to plumb it, flip it or whatever. Put a manifold in your return regardless. Nothing sucks more than realizing you should have done it after the fact. Mine is for a separate refugium behind the tank with gravity drain into the sump, and possible uv or whatever I deem necessary. It's a great option to have.

Your return pump seems a "bit" overpowered. I have a varios 6 and for my system it is a bit overpowered as well (speed 3 like rips so I use 2), but the intent was to actually have a separate refugium and possibly a UV myself, so that's why I have it, when you tap off your return with a manifold, you'll need extra pump speed to get the same through your returns to the tank and you may have to play with valves to balance everything out. I'd rather have extra than not enough.

1700109106858.jpeg

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 54 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 53 24.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 53 24.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 52 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back