Plumbing

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m upgrading my plumbing on my Red Sea reefer 750xxl going with sch80 I went to home depot for pvc glue and this what was recommended never used this before but at the same time never used sch80 either always used sch40 with heavy duty pvc glue any help will be appreciated

image.jpg

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe sch80 is just thicker than 40 and gives it more psi rating. Sch80 is totally not needed. That glue will work fine with 40 and 80

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure that will work fine I have never used it thought I like clear primer and glue.

How is this an emergency? Makes the emergency tag worthless when used on non emergencies.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sch 80 is a thicker wall pipe than sch 40 the largest difference is pressure rating, this varies by size but for aquarium use sizes sch40 would handle roughly 200psi (generally fine) where sch80 will handle roughly 400psi. The only time i use sch80 professionally is when plumbing large water treatment plants where your likely to meet theses high pressures. At the bottom of water towers or off of a 10hp booster pump for example. The other use for sch80 is that due to the thickness, its good if you need to thread and tap your own pipe for odd connections. Pvc cleaner, primer, and glue is the same for both of these materials.

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchase it thinking it was better so have to use now just wanted to make sure the glue was the right one to use thnks everyone for the feedback well appreciated

Memisis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one concern is the pvc to bulkhead connections with that glue. Your bulkheads are likely ABS and there is a certain glue(cement by oatley) that will work on pvc, ABS and a few other materials.

That being said I think that many have used it and its fine if you make a good connection and use the primer.

If this is not truly an emergency then I would go back and get the other glue that says ABS too.

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No bullhead i bought a sch80 npt adapter to convert it to regulate pvc its not abs

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.2%
Back