PO4 high

Piranha76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers:
My tank is a year old. It is a 125 gallon with 29 gallon sump. I have about 100 pounds of live rock that have been in there since the beginning and a 2 inch sand bed since the beginning.

Here are the parameters

Temp 78
Salt 35 PPT
nitrites 0
Nitrates 0
Ammonia 0
Alk 12
Phosphates high 1.3 low .34 right now .74 ppt

I can’t get it down. I have used GFO in my canister for 6 months. I have a chaeto basket. And I been using ALOT of Phosguard for the past 3 months. Every 4 days per instructions I change out the cup of phosguard. Last month I tried mixing a cup of Phosguard and 1/2 cup of GFO in a media bag in a jar with a hole in the jar and a pump, pumping water into that jar to get ridiculous flow.

Still phosphates won’t come down. I have had a Cyano outbreak on all my lower half rocks. And dinos In my overflow chambers. My corals look good and are multiplying.

The first time yesterday i used Chemipure and am aerating the tank with air stones and having the skimmer full blast. Why is my phosphate so high?

I have komni tang, goby, foxface three chromis. 2 damsels and a clown. I feed 1 frozen cube of mysis shrimp or plankton in the am and 1 in the pm and 1 sheet of seaweed every other day.

Any help is appreciated. I came close to buying a media reactor but I am wondering if they are worth the money and will it work.

image.jpg image.jpg

ryan265

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started battling phosphates myself. Mine were .34 few weeks ago and I’m at .25 right now. Just been doin water changes and trying vibrant. Guess we will see how well it works...

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can always use LC, it’ll bring it down guaranteed.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back