Pocillipora eradication

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a green pocillipora that has decided to start throwing babies all over my tank. It's about the size of a softball. I'll be removing the main piece this weekend but need advice on how to deal with the stump and babies. I read someone used Milliput 2 part epoxy? I was thinking regular coral putty or kalk paste?
I don't want this stuff taking over any help is appreciated.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a green pocillipora that has decided to start throwing babies all over my tank. It's about the size of a softball. I'll be removing the main piece this weekend but need advice on how to deal with the stump and babies. I read someone used Milliput 2 part epoxy? I was thinking regular coral putty or kalk paste?
I don't want this stuff taking over any help is appreciated.
Cover them with coral putty and you can ship the pocci my way. Never had an issue with them

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cover them with coral putty and you can ship the pocci my way. Never had an issue with them
I didn't either until just now. Had it for 2 years now it's feeling frisky. No sir not in my tank.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat as Stang67. I bought one frag 2 years ago and now I have at least 12 colonys about the size of a tennis to pingpong balls in size all over my tank, one is even growing on the back wall... on the glass
Yeah I want to avoid that. First sign of babies it's getting pulled. Found 4 going to putty over them and hope for the best. May just remove the whole rock the main piece is on as well.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just glob some 2 part epoxy on then when they show up. If I can reach it... if not, free coral in a place I probably never would have put one.

Any aquarium hobby epoxy will do but for this purpose I like the JB water weld best because it is softer a little more malleable and easier to break off later. At least in my experience.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Uh oh. Mine's tossed a couple of babies but it's staying mostly small.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend gave me a frag from his tank… he loves it. I had it for a while and like you all, started seeing babies in places. I took out the most of it and still have a couple new ones taking hold.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I had one that was bigger than a softball. When it started throwing babies, out it went. I still have that one baby. I trim it back to the rock and it keeps coming back. I don't know if I can smother it out completly. I think I'm attached to it. LOL.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm finding as I grow and learn in the hobby that I made some poor decisions on what to put in the tank for sure. Easy to grow stuff is great starting out but ultimately creates an issue later when you want nice stuff.
Guess it's time for a frag tank. ;)

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine just started spawning in random places, I love it! It’s my favorite coral :) the tank will eventually be devils hand and pocillipora

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back